Show me your DIY wall mounts for pendants

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

all thats a bit hard for me i went the feminine route... lol ;D should have got a larger shade though.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

Haha, that's something that I would never have thought of, but it looks nice, and it sure is unique!

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I had my old LED rig setup with a large L-Bracket attached to Ball-Bearing Drawer Slides to easily move out of the way for maintenance. I can't seem to find any pictures for some reason. :(

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thank you sir. Seen those. Never used one. Seems easy enough!

Wow. Another cool idea.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey you get points for that! Looks pretty cool actually..

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good news - took the IceCap ballast out of the box just now and it has the right connector on it! 8) I was under the impression I was dealing with bare wires - very glad to see this - now I can concentrate on hanging the fixture instead! Back to work...

8. Click Here!

9. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

;D

thanks the disco ball light thats under the shade, wasn't doing it for me. wanted to do a large square shade but couldn't find one.
    if anyone else does this i recommend the height/depth of the shade be more to cut the side ways glare while sitting in the room. (so the light fits higher up under the shade)

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good point about the glare - that is something I will be dealing with shortly.

UPDATE

It was an all day affair, but I have successfully hung my lights - thanks to all here for the great info - could not have done this without you! (seriously!)

I bought a plumb-bob to help visualize where the center was. Very handy. Thanks for the tip.

Made a wood pilot hole guide with hook for plumb-bob in the center. Marked center using that and measurements taken from back and side walls.

Marking the holes for the cable mounts with the wood made it a lot easier for me.

I ended up using long toggle bolts,

[​IMG]

drilled a pilot hole, then used 1/2 inch masonry drill bit.

I threw a sheet over the tank to protect from the plaster dust.

I balanced on a chair, swore a lot, dropped a piece of wood in the tank and the plumb-bob got wet, nearly fell a few times - REALLY COULD HAVE USED SOME EXTRA HELP - this was very hard to juggle by myself - but I did it and nearly nailed the center without adjustments. Very happy and I finally have actinic lighting again!. THanks again all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have a 14k 150w Ushio overdriven with a 175w IceCap electronic ballast and 2 T5 super actinics! with this Aqua Medic Ocean light - sweet!

My one complaint - hey light manufacturers - when you spend your time designing these sexy aluminum lamps with cool stainless suspension cables - spend 10 minutes at least thinking about the heavy 3 prong electrical cable and goofy ballasts you have coming off the lamp. I have 1 cord on each end - why not just one cord? Think about how to add the cord to the cable cleanly - I have no choice but to hang off the back - this not only takes away from the look of the suspended light, but the weight of the cables cause the light to tip slightly - angling the lamp out at the viewer. BAD. I used my extra cord mounts from my Vortech - this helped, but still - BAD. Please think about this...

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

So I'm a little late to chime in here, but for the archive purpose:

I used hangers like these from the ceiling:
    Shop Cobra DrillerToggle Heavy-Duty Screw-In Anchor at Lowes.com
    Simple and easy; they screwed right in. I then used an eye bolt with a 90deg bend in it. The eye of the bolt was the proper size to then trap the cable fitting.

12. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

looks pretty awesome!!! very clean looking work :)
    how are you liking the overdriven Ushios?