Show me your DIY wall mounts for pendants

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Matt Rogers, Feb 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Show me your DIY wall mounts for pendants if you have them please - I have halide/T5 lamp I need to suspend. Thinking about some kind of wood deal above the tank on the wall behind it.. not sure... anyone have a good idea or have done something they can share?

2. Click Here!

3. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Here's how I hung my fixture. I use a 1X4 stained it like the doors on my tank and attached 2 wrought iron outdoor plant hangers. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Wow. Nice work! 8)
    I like that - great finish too. Great parts too. Well done.

I am kinda curious what people do with their electrical cords too - I was wondering if people went up the cable with it or what - I see that you just went direct behind the tank.. that actually does not look that bad - cleaner than going up for sure..

Thanks for sharing!

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Pics

So here are some pics of the area I am working with... plaster walls too - fyi..

I am thinking of a mount up high above that window than has arm coming out over the tank..

Attached Files:

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Here is the light I need to mount (150x2 T5 24")
    Ocean Light T5 MH combo - Aqua Medic

I've had this for 2-3 months now, but moved recently and had a kid.. life is a bigger juggle than usual - but I am dying to get this done soon. :p

7. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I used this suspension kit.AquaticLife Suspension Hardware For T5 & Compact Fixtures
    Hopefully your fixture manufacturer has something simular. About the cord, you could take it up the wires and back down the wall and cover it with one of those strips that they sell at hardware stores.

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

heres mine basically the same as above, just with some quality zip tie work.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

vankirk are your wires adjustable?

also where is that vine coming from?

11. wiigelec

wiigelec Fire Shrimp

Depending on where your ceiling joists are located and which way they run this may work for you or it may not, and hopefully I can paint a picture here...

Get two hooks, something like the hooks you screw in your garage ceiling to hang your bike but more decorative, and screw them into the joists closest to being centered over the tank.

Get some pipe, perhaps a length of electrical conduit long enough to span the two hooks. Now you have a place to hang your fixture from with some cable or chain and hopefully some room to move it side-to-side to center it...

12. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

Yeah, I used the "good parts" lol out of that kit in that link. I know I've seen the same cable at Lowes. Not quite sure how you could attach it to your fixture though.
    From one of the few house plants that I haven't been able to kill. lol I forget to water A LOT!