Show Me Your AI Sol Hanging Hardware!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by thepanfish, Jun 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Thanks guys, but please stop hijacking my thread. If you wanna discuss tanks please post elswhere. Could someone explain how they attached the cable to the AI with pics? I'm still confused as to how.

2. Click Here!

3. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

That's really cool. What is going into the ceiling? A molly bolt?

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

There are still ways to apply this idea... I'm building a wood trim square with two support braces at the thirds. Using AZ's method, i can mount two t-tracks to the two middle supports, then the third to that and have an open top/bottom but you will see a nice wood trim instead of wires/lights and would allow me to adjust left/right, up/down, and front/back. All while maintaining your rimless look!

No idea how to draw it on a computer though..

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I see what you mean, like in the second vid link in the OP?

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Very similar, only I plan to hang it.. You can use the two support braces to hold the wires because that's all the weight... with 4 lights, wood and wiring the whole system should weigh about 35lbs or less... I'm actually looking into using a small motor to raise/lower the fixture (haven't fully figured this part out yet though...)

It would give you a clean look and a TON of flexibility for light placement and it wouldn't build up heat.

8. Click Here!

9. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Yep, molly bolt. One eye for two wires to allow for adjustments back and forth.

On another note, I apologize pan and have no intention of hijacking your thread. If you look at the post after the pics I try to explain that the AI unit has a pair of screws, on on each end, that screw into the housing on the AI unit. If you loosen either a bit, each gives a perfect anchor site for wires. When you look at the unit it becomes easy to see, there are essentially two screw-heads you can anchor wire to.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

This will be a secure hanging point? Thanks for clatyfying and the help, I didn't understand the screw part the first time. I wasn't thinking of you hijacking, and thanks for the help!

11. Servillius

Servillius Montipora Digitata

Yep, it is a secure hanging point. These two screws are actually the screws that are meant to attach the units to the track on the standard hanging kit, so they're actually there for the purpose of securely hanging the light. The only consideration is to make sure your hanging wire is sufficiently thin to loop and fit comfortably behind the screw.

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Gold ole' molly bolt. That is what I used too. Looks great guys!