Should I reseal this aquarium?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by zanna5910, May 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

i didnt even think about seam running underneath the old overflow! Good point!

I agree with selling the tank unfortunately!

2. Click Here!

3. zanna5910

zanna5910 Plankton

Well, thanks for the honesty but due to the fact that I already bought all this, another tank is out of the budget. I have done this on much smaller projects and know its easy to remove the bead, but a pain to remove the residue. I'll be patient and see it thru. What's the worst that could happen? I cant get it sealed and have to sell it to a guy with a snake. I would have had to do that anyways. At least that's my positive outlook talking.

Yeah, it looks like they messed it all up with a scraper. I haven't had a tank up in about 3 years and forgot to check the seams when looking at it before buying. Oh well, we make mistakes when we're excited about a new tank huh? I wish mine didn't cost me an entire weekend of work.

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Is it just me, or do those pics look like someone

already did a 'patch' seal over the original seal?

If you do it at all, make sure the overflow it water tight so it won't leak, otherwise, you'll drain the tank to the overflow leak site in a power out into your sump.

Houston? I lived in the Metro HOuston area most of my adult live. Both my kids were born in Houston.

5. zanna5910

zanna5910 Plankton

You never know, but you're probably just seeing all the sandy remnants still on the tank as I haven't cleaned it yet. The tank has a nice black seal all around that looks factory minus the wear, the overflow was done a little thicker in clear.

Can I strip all the silicone and leave the tank sitting there until the RTV103 shows up at my house? Or is it better to just wait and do it all at once?

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

go ahead and strip it........ it will be fine to allow it to sit afterwards. This way it will give you the time to ensure all silicone has been removed and tape up the nice straight seams!

7. zanna5910

zanna5910 Plankton

well i cleaned the tank and did a water test, it holds water fine the way it is. Debating selling the whole setup. I would hate to screw it up and have it not hold water since it currently does. Maybe someone else would like it the way it is. I'm confused, not sure what to do now.

8. Click Here!

9. zanna5910

zanna5910 Plankton

since the tank is sealed and doesn't leak, is it possible at all to run a bead of silicone over the existing to just give nice clean lines?

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Yes but be aware that if the existing bead is old and beaten up adding another bead will do little to stop a leak or worse. 90 gallons is alot of water and could seriously hurt someone if they were standing in front of it if it did decide to let go.Scary. I would sell it to someone with a lizard or snake what you are doing is dangerous. The tank is one of the cheapest parts of the system but also the most important.;)

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

+1, having a 135 gallon dump out into the living room floor is no fun........do it right to start wtih