Should I get a 180g or 210g reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by marlinman, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Looking very good.

Are your plans 3 banks of the t-5s, or two flanking a MH?

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I can't even fathom dealing with a tank I can't reach the bottom of.

4. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

When I break down the 120 gal I have I'll take the 48" 8x54W T5 retrofit and install it next to the 24".

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I think about what I would have to do if I get a 300 gal tank that's 36" high? I'm settling down with my thinking a little and really looking at both sides of the issue. Put money aside and just go with the gut. I have visions of tangs swimming wildly in open waters with schools of anthias and chromis turning on a dime in perpetual motion. I think only then can we truly enjoy this hobby. I bought the 210 with that thought in mind as I move up in my understanding of this great hobby. I called mnm (3reef friend) and talked at length about this and I told him I was leaning towards keeping the 210 and his and my main concern was the lighting and some husbandry chores. My two T5 retrofits have a total of 624 normal watts but they are jacked with great bulbs. While I prefer soft corals there is no doubt there will come a time when the sps corals will look appealing. I have the room in the canopy for metal halides and when that time comes I will move up in the hobby and go for it and add a chiller if need be. My only drawback is I'm not getting any younger and if life gives me a major setback I could be out of the hobby in a heartbeat so what the hell! I ordered another moonlight strip to add to the two I have and when that comes in I'll probably make the transfer.;)

Attached Files:

6. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

your one lucky person. soo nice

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Hey thanks! I want this to work so bad...

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well we're getting closer. I got the extra strip of moonlights delivered and a scale to weigh the rocks. The eggcrate is all cut for the bottom of the tank. I have an enormous amount of rock in the 120. My fish can barely swim around.

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Today I spoke to Coral Seas and they are bringing over the water on Thursday so I can start moving everything over from the 120 to the 210. I'm excited as I've been looking at this huge tank in my dining room for weeks with nothing in it and I'm watching some of my fish getting bigger everyday. My African Yellow Belly Hippo has really grown out nicely. The solar wrasse is an inch longer, my Asphur Angel will love the roominess of the 210. This was truly the best selection after all for me. I took the moonlight strips out of the 120 and screwed them into the new canopy. The 48" T5 strip has built-in LED moonlights but nothing compared to the strips. You can see the moonlights on the 24" T5 fixture to give you an idea.

Attached Files:

11. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'm glad you got what you want. One advantage to a deeper tank I think would be... there are corals that get too much light in the bottom of a 180... I can move them further from the light but deeper would be another nice option. All depending on your lights of course.

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Well, we'll have to see how they work. I only have a total of 624 watts of T5's but they are top of the line bulbs with a full spectrum mix (6500K, 10K, 12K, 14K and 450nm blue+). I should be OK but I'll add more lights if needed as I have the room in the canopy and I'm handy as at x-Seabee carpenter. I'll keep you posted. The other thing I thought about with regard to the size was the 210 gives me a larger bioload capability which I like because I want more fish.:)