Should I get a 180g or 210g reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by marlinman, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Your point about the height is well taken. It would be a pain to swap out the 210 for a 180 at this time but as they say it's now or never. I'll think about it. Very good point taken..

Does this mean that by my T5 lighting not reaching the bottom properly I will incur say algae problems along with being unable to put most corals down low? Does light have an effect on the live sand and rock?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Just call me crazy! Yeah, absolutely nuts! I went over to Big Al's and ordered a 180 gal and return the 210 gal. They said they will call me when it comes in. Probably 2-3 weeks. What an ordeal that's going to be. Oh well, live and learn. Like I said it's now or never.

4. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

the bigger the better. that way you wont have to upgrade later

5. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I think a 180 is about as big as I want to go.

6. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I went to Big Al's in Tamarac, Fla. and they are expecting an All Glass delivery on April 28. I got my 8x24W T5 retrofit so I'm working on getting that installed on a shelf I'm building in the canopy. I'm working also on a design for the reef. There is always something to do right now but I dread having to haul big aquariums around. I'll keep you all updated as I move along.

7. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I need more help out there! Am I doing the right thing? I already have this monster tank setup already. Am I going to really hate myself if I don't take the 210 back or should I continue with my idea to switch it for a 180 only because it's 4 or 5 inches shorter? Will I later regret this? Is it all worth the aggravation? Help!!!!

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Personally, I would do a 180. Isn't the only difference height? You'll have an easier time lighting a shallower tank.

10. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Thanks for your thoughts Zack. I installed my 24" 8x24 T5 retrofit onto the shelf in the canopy today so I just need to wait until I tear down the 120 and get the 48" T5 retrofit and install that next to it. This is hard for me right now to digest what I'm doing right now. I'll keep you posted. Pics of the canopy coming right up.

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Here are pictures of the 24" T5 retrofit I just installed in the canopy. All the new bulbs are in. It came with 3 electrical cords for easy setup on a timer. The moonlights came with a dimmer switch. I cut away at the back brace so it could go further back for husbandry duties. The shelf can come out through the top lid if needed.

Attached Files:

12. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Wait, you're installing a 24" T5 retrofit on a tank like that? :confused: