Should I get a 180g or 210g reef tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by marlinman, Apr 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

They let you put that beast in a condo? Hope your insurance is paid up. Just in case.

2. Click Here!

3. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

;D:laughings I remember when those where in!

anyways this is probably a stupid question but why is there vent holes towards the bottom of the overflows? or are they just for look?

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I'll give you a month... That's gonna be extremely expensive to fill (around $80 )and a huge pain to carry all that water. Then if you get some sort of nitrate spike you'll be hauling a lot more water than a normal water change.
    I use a 30 gallon trash can of RO water every week just for evaporation and if you do one 15% water change per month that will be $50 a month for water.

5. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

awseome tank i cant wait to see it up and runnung!!

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

^^agree 100% with AV8Bluewater.

7. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

I agree with av8 on the cant reach the bottom. I am 6ft tall and have all I can do to get to the bottom. I have the 220 perfecto and to be honest not only is it a pain to reach the bottom the lighting has to be huge to reach it as well as I do lol. The fish really dont care about the 6 in difference despite what people say. There is plenty of room. I have like luna said put 5-10,000 into the tank probally more towards the 10k mark. If money is not an issue go big or go home haha but if you want ease and most bang for the buck got for the 180. Anything larger you are upgrading the entire system meaning all the equipment including the two most expensive parts the light and skimmer. I also evaporate 5 gallons every 3 days so an auto top off is tough since 10 gallons doesent get you a week so vacation is nearly impossible and you feel married to your tank. Either way you will be happy but consider your larger electric bills for more equipment for anything larger then 180 my bill is about 45-50 just for this tank let alone the 150 my son has and the red sea my wife has. My 6500 gallon Koi Pond we wont go there....... Anyway you get my point....

8. Click Here!

9. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

Wow, all kinds of opinions. I like it!

First, the mirrors will stay as they give a little depth to a condo.

My corals are generally high up on the reef so my lights should be ok but if need be I will add a MH or two.

The All Glass megaflow overflows are designed to pull detritus from upper, middle and lower areas.

Being a disabled war veteran I have time and energy to kill. As I said before I will think about the idea of a RO/DI unit but my main ambition is to keep the water level in the sump for the skimmer. I already visit a variety of fish stores every week so the jugs of water is good exercise for me.

I believe there is a reason for everything so when all the local fish stores did not have a 180 gal. I picked up the 210 gal which I kind of liked better giving me more height for rocks and it was over an inch less than the 220 gal.

I will have the water changes done by the same local fish store that does fellow 3reefer MNM.

I'm still waiting on my light fixture...

10. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Do you have room for big trash cans? I live in a 850 sq ft condo with a garage. I have the trash cans and RO unit in the garage. I was thinking if I didn't have that option what would I do? It would be a real pain in the butt. You may be able to put a Ro unit under your kitchen sink there with an extra sump under that cabinet to make your RO water in. .. Run a line from the kitchen to the holding tank(doesnt' have to be a permanent line)... a shutoff would be a must of course. Also the Ro unit doesn't have to be permanently mounted .. You could keep it in a closet and pull it out when you need it. airwaterice.com offers the garden hose attachment or sink attachment.

11. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

The RO/DI is in the thought stage. When I have the water delivered for the startup I'll ask the guy if it can be done.

12. marlinman

marlinman Zoanthid

I don't have a garage and I think my only option would be to hang the RO outside the kitchen in the dining room next to the kitchen wall. That idea will look aweful. I'm still thinking.