Should I frag this

Discussion in 'Frags' started by ibefishy, Oct 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I have never seen one grow like this either. All the ones I have ever seen had a skeletal structure that could be cut, this one the flesh goes down to and onto the rock. I am currently trying to get some photos of it. As soon as I do I will post them.

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I still say that it's dropping polyps. I'd leave it alone for the time being.

4. mattheuw1

mattheuw1 Montipora Capricornis

I don't believe that candy cane corals "drop polyps".

You must really have some strange candy canes my friend. I have never seen that. Maybe some others have, but that is very weird to have it frow to a rock.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

From what I have read, most LPS corals are capable of dropping polyps as a means of asexual reproduction.

6. ibefishy

Ok so I finally got the it off the rock. In the photo you can see circled in yellow the only place it could be cut without cutting the flesh. This left me 2 large pieces that I dont know how to frag now if I cannot cut the flesh. I spoke with my lfs and he said cut down to 2 heads for frags and bring it in for credit or bring it in as 1 large piece. The smaller of the two, the one I wanted to frag has 20 heads.
    Credit is nice but I am sure there are some local people that may want a frag. I am going to look into that first. This will be one of those trade or free if you pick it up corals.
    Where would I cut now to frag it? I guess that would be my next question.

Sorry they dont look as good as they normally do. I just put them back in the tank after sitting out for a moment.

Attached Files:

7. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

wow interesting growth, good luck with that one! But... since you have such good growth you can make the cut and if you lose one or two it won't be so bad?

8. Click Here!

9. vizhunz02si

vizhunz02si Astrea Snail

i have the same problem. tryin to figure out how to get the branch parts to grow so the soft tissue part would attach

10. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

LOL, wow a dremal for a candycane coral?

Dude just wait till the light are out and the tissue is not inflated pick a few spots that look good and simply snap the branches off and that's all there is to it.

11. ibefishy

That wont work because when the lights go out they open up for feeding. The only time the tissue is not inflated is when they are out of water. But the tissue going all the way down is still there. It really doesnt matter as I took it to my lfs and he said it would be hard to frag without cutting through the tissue. I took the store credit he offered me for it.

12. browntrout

browntrout Fire Shrimp

You are crazy. That thing had so many heads on it. I could have easily fragged that thing. If you had to cut some tissue and loose a few pieces you still would have had alot of nice pieces to sell off.