Should I do a water change

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ZC42, Dec 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mm2002

mm2002 Feather Duster

I've never used the carribsea live sand, but it's supposedly pre-rinsed and cycled. I definitely wouldn't rinse it.

2. Click Here!

3. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

so i got my caribbean sea stuff today and got to taking the mature sand out of the tank. I've goten about 85-90 percent out of it but there's still some debris in there. Its getting to the point where it would take forever to get the stuff out. Can i just open the caribsea and bury the rest of the stuff under it? or would the y still keep decomposing. Its mostly little shells and and stuff. I would take a pic but my water is too cloudy after the sand

thanks!

4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

You could try to siphon the stuff out first, but I'm sure it is getting hard to see. I would say that you can just bury it.

5. ZC42

yeah i just checked my siphon has the tiniest tube ever- it would get clogged up very easily.I think I'll just bury them. very little sand left on the bottom now

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I think you will be alright doing that. ;D How are you planning on adding the sand?

7. ZC42

I lifted the bag into the aquarium, submerged it, and cut off the top with underwater. Then I flipped it upside down and pulled it out. Took 1 minute and super easy. New sand looks so much better!!

8. Click Here!

9. ZC42

the water cleared up today... tested it and everything perfect except still those high nitrates!! I still have yet to do my first water change since starting the cycle, and since the nitrates will go down if I do a water change, will i be cycled? I'm confused...lol

thanks!

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

If you are getting a 0 reading for ammonia and nitrites and have nitrates only, then you are cycled my friend. Start enjoying! :) You can a water change to lower those nitrates like you said as well.

11. ZC42

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much you guys are awesome! I probably would have been waiting forever for the other live sand and given up. What do you guys think are good starter fish? I was going to do clownfish...

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Clownfish are hardy. I would stay away from damsels and dottybacks though. I would get something cheap, so a regular ocellaris clown fish would work. I always start cheap on fish and corals when starting out. I don't want an expensive fish dying on me lol.