should have quarintined.... what kind of disease is this?

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by Gexx, Jul 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

Slow down a little buddy. You can do it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

1 person likes this.
  4. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

I agree... do a water change and get that quaranteen tank set up asap. If it's overheating you definetely need an extra airline, 'cause an overheating tank (this happend to me too) needs more oxygen. Otherwise the fish will suffucate.
    Best of luck to you!

1 person likes this.
  5. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Also, if you have lids, remove them and get a rippley effect going on the surface of your water to help oxygenate.

Water change is the way to go when ammonia spikes IMO. Neutralizers can help to.

6. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

well, it doesnt matter now. he didnt make it through the night. im just not gonna buy anything else till i get enough money to get an RO/DI machine. if i had one i prob could have fixed this. parents just dont wanna run to the store at 10 pm. i found him on his back not breathing in the rocks.

somebody up there must evidentaly think i shouldnt take care of scorpions because none of mine have ever made it. even when i get them to eat. either something attacks it or it gets sick, or im a dumbs*** and buy a fish i shouldnt and it gets sick. ugh,

7. Telgar

Telgar Snowflake Eel

Sorry to here that. This gives you a chance to sit back and look at the system and try to correct whats not working, the RO/DI is a great place to start.

I'm guessing here but I think some of the problem may be the fish your trying to keep needs a slightly more mature(established) tank, meaning it's been set up, cycled and stable for 6 to 8 months before adding scorpion fish etc. Again, make sure there is enough LR to support good bacterial colonies that can keep up with the waste those type of fish can produce.

Good luck and don't give up just yet :jester:

8. Click Here!

9. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

WHAT!!!!! *faints* I'm sorry to hear that.

I never bring my salinity down slowly... I just plop them in there. A fish can adjust to hypo rather easily and their system has to work less hard, actually, than they have to to process the salt. This was on a recommendation of my breeder and I have done it at least 100 times myself.

10. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

How long was that dead fish in your tank? It takes a little while for a dead fish to cause an ammonia spike in a 55 gallon tank. If it was only in there over night your ammonia is probably coming from something else.

11. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I'm sorry for your loss :(

+1 on Telgar's way of dealing with this. Sit back a bit, monitor your tank and try and figure out what's wrong. The RO system changed my life after I installed it. If you can't afford it, but your parents can, try to get them to buy you an RO/DI system. Tell them your fish could be alive if you would have had one ;)

Again, like Telgar said: Sit back and try to find and do what needs to be done to have this tank running right.

Good luck!

12. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

nobody in the house has the money for an RO machine lol. im just gonna have to save for now. here we go!