shopping list for a new Biocube 29

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by John Coleman, Apr 29, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. John Coleman

John Coleman Plankton

Don't want to start out with something I will have to change later. I've been reading till my eyes hurt. I think I have a good idea on starting the tank and cycling, what my goal is, is to have clowns and the anemone that the clown plays in (Don't know the name of the Anemone) . Is there certain rock or coral or sand, gravel, cleaner crew that I need to buy to achieve my final goal and or diff steps in the set up to get to that type of tank ? Please help. All I have right now is the new tank and stand.

trentjones10 likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

There are several different types of rock you can use I personally like the look of some of the tonga rocks but have recently done a combo of ceramic rock from Westmariculture.com and live rock.

As for sand you can use any color you want I personally use this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/oolite-ocean-direct-live-reef-sand.html
    Its all different sizes

Then I used biospira to speed up the cycle.

Checkout intank media baskets I loved using them when I had a biocube

4. John Coleman

John Coleman Plankton

Cool .......I'll check it out Thx.......I saw a thread on clowns that when you add them you have to add all that you eventually want at one time as juveniles (cuz of aggression I guess) Is this true and if so what about when to add the anemones ....do that have to be established 1st, after or does it matter ?

5. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

I suggest having an established tank for a year before adding nems or you can get a couple of cups of sand from locals to help seed the tank.

Is it the stock lighting?

Also yes I would buy 2 or 3 clowns at one time then add them together

6. Turbo's Aquatics

Turbo's Aquatics 3reef Sponsor

Yeah I've always had issues with aggression when adding pairs or individual clowns to a tank with established clowns.

It usually settles down but often results in one getting beat up pretty good.

7. John Coleman

John Coleman Plankton

Yes it is stock lighting and have the empty slots for more LEDs....suggestions ?

8. Click Here!

9. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

Those slots for the leds are not powerful enough to grow corals. Those are moonlight leds.

If your a diy person there are kits made for the biocubes on Rapidled.com, and stevesleds.com also that would work great.

Or you could get a couple of primes get the existing lighting then mount 2 primes in the hood I've done this before and I should have taken pictures as I did it.

10. John Coleman

John Coleman Plankton

Wow......Coral needs more light than what it comes with !!!! It's already really bright with them all on now......ok Thx
    Lighting:
    • 1 - 24 watt True Actinic 03 Blue
    • 1 - 24 watt 10,000K Daylight
    • 1 - 0.75 watt Lunar Blue LED Bar (3 Lunar Ble LED`s per bar) Additional Upgradable Lunar LED Bars Sold Separately
    Number of additional upgradable LED bar slots

11. John Coleman

John Coleman Plankton

Should I leave what I have off or on while I'm trying to get the tank to make it's first cycle ?

Armydog likes this.
  12. Armydog

Armydog Astrea Snail

.75w leds wont produce enough usable light for corals they are just moonlighting.

You can grow corals under the stock lighting just fine but I'd stay away from sps corals.

Then replace your bulbs every 6 months