shimmer effect with LED?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by maxxtk, Aug 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

My answer was predicated on your profile. From your profile;
    • DT - Two IceCap PRE WIRED 36" 4 Lamp T5 Retrofit Kits. Two Ecoxotic Panorama 12W LED fixtures (One with 12 453nm Blue LED and one with 8 white and 4 453nm Blue LEDs)
    • Moonlight - Neptune Systems Dimmable Lunar Simulator - 5 LED
    So you have 8 T5s! She only has two. Don't take offense. If you have 8 bulbs, your experience does not fit for her. I have 2 T5s on the 55 gal. and 2 Modules and I still get a "good" shimmer so hence my statement about being careful when addressing others inquiries. No harm meant really, just giving information in accordance with her inquiry.

2. Click Here!

3. maxxtk

maxxtk Spaghetti Worm

I get a perfect shimmer effect when only the moonlights are on. i was kind of hoping to get this effect during the day as well but from all the answers here (thank you very much btw) it seems not doable with my fixture.
    i was actually thinking lately on changing my fixture to this one: Our Products but i'm pretty concern about the temperature. i found only one post that says it's withing the 3 temperature swing which is completely manageable without a chiller but i'm not sure i can count on it. i actually called Marineland but the couldn't help at all. how weird.

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Whether you will need a chiller depends on many factors such as ambient room temp., heater setting, how close the lights are, what wattage the lights are, how big your tank is, whether you have a sump etc. If you're looking at that, I would start a new thread to ask for advice.