shimmer effect with LED?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by maxxtk, Aug 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

maxxtk - I would not count on getting the shimmer effect with LEDs when the T5s are on. I have Two Ecoxotic Panorama 12W LED fixtures (One with 12 453nm Blue LED and one with 8 white and 4 453nm Blue LEDs) + 5 Moonlight LEDs in my tank. When the T5s are on, the shimmer they create is gone. The Moonlight LEDs are in sync with the moon, and produce a nice shimmer when on. I bring up the all blue LEDs first followed by the blue/white combo 30 minutes later and reverse and night. When they are on by themselves, I have a nice shimmer effect - BUT when the T5s turn on, the shimmer is no longer visible. My experience for what it's worth.

2. Click Here!

3. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Correction; She will get a shimmer effect as she doesn't have that many bulb. We must be careful when addressing others inquiries. All things are relative.

4. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

on a side note, K+ to Seano for a great painting!

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Isn't it?:cheesy:

6. Tadpole1mill

Tadpole1mill Purple Spiny Lobster

why not just add these? Lighting

they fit into any t5 fixture...

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Do they just take the place of a t5 bulb?

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Those are lunar, not much par and probably no shimmer.

10. Sealife Systems

Sealife Systems 3reef Sponsor

If it's the shimmer effect you want, check out the thread on our Seatorm LED fixtures. They'll pump out as much light as a T5 bulb and give a great shimmer to boot!

11. adicus

adicus Aiptasia Anemone

Unclejed -
    "Correction" - What is that all about? My statement is based on fact, not speculation. I did not say that she would NOT get a shimmer effect. I said she might not get what she expects. You however stated emphatically that she would. I hope she does, as she would have every right to hold you at fault if she doesn't.

Also - "We must be careful when addressing others inquiries." Again - what's that all about? These Forum's are for sharing our experiences with other member's and using the information as we see fit. Who are you to make such a statement?

1 person likes this.
  12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That's what I was thinking too. I looked into this a little while back and after much discussion and personal experiences, I came to the conclusion that the more inexpensive LED setups will not provide a shimmer when the T5s are on b/c they are not powerful enough and get "lost" in the T5s. What people mentioned that did provide a shimmer effect were the ReefBrite LED strips. I got some great info from some great members here who own LFS which said that they use them in conjunction with T5s and did get the shimmer effect. However, they are very expensive. They also specifically said that the Icecap Leds would not provide the shimmer effect with the T5s on. I also heard from a member who did in fact do what you are planning on doing, but did not get the shimmer effect due to the type of LEDs he used. So I think Adicus' point is very valid.