Shattered 29G Tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RutgersReef, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Wait for morning and give it a look with the lenses. If the glass still appears clear with no strange pattern in it, its not tempered. The lcd screen technique imo means nothing other than demonstrating the fact that lcd screens produce coherent light. If there is something I misunderstand about the process of using an lcd screen to identify tempered glass correct me but as fast as I know thats the case

2. Click Here!

3. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

4. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

I had the process explained incorrectly to me. As long as you follow his directions you should be good. Make sure you turn your glasses first until the screen blacks then test through that. Fwiw on those cheap tanks it wouldn't surprise me if they were using up whatever stock they had on hand at the time. If you are one standard pane short and you still have tempered....finish the tank and send it along the line. What are the chances somebody drills it.

5. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Thanks for your input. I will attempt to drill the tank when my diamond coated hole saw bit arrives, and will surely post the result.

6. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Instead of using water in the ring, use oil. Vegetable oil works well at lubricating and at heat transfer.
    Also after you drill just leave it for a few hours. I think it might have something to do with the distribution of heat from drilling that makes it spider. So leaving it before cleaning up will allow the heat to dissipate slowly.

7. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

+1 good job on picking up the best tools for the job. Good luck on your next holes to be drilled and even when the manufacture states its something double check yourself. Keep ahead of the game it doesn't hurt. :)

8. Click Here!

9. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Thanks for the kind words, I actually just got off the phone with Perfecto and they boldly stated that they have never made their 29 gallon tanks of tempered glass. Looks like I'm in business! I'll be sure to start a normal thread about my aquarium once everything is in order.

10. homyg30

homyg30 Feather Duster

does this bit have a guide bit in the center of it? if so thats whats doing it. my friend makes bottles with holes in it and that was the same bit he had. the carbide tip guide was making all the bottles break. then as the spring of that guide bit got weak it was finally working. i would get one without the guide and without teeth although my friend is fine now and only has had a dew breaks and it was because he wasnt holding the botle tight enough