Shattered 29G Tank

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by RutgersReef, Jan 28, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Airstreamin

Airstreamin Astrea Snail

There is little to no price difference between tempered and untempered glass. Judging by the picture it was definitely tempered glass by the way it shattered.

2. Click Here!

3. Camkha1234

Camkha1234 Great Blue Whale

I agree with everyone else. It was definitely tempered :-/

4. Reakwonthachef

Reakwonthachef Feather Duster

I have read a lot about 29 gal tanks being tempered glass. I dropped a marineland 29 gal one time onto a small rock while cleaning it (I had it sold and told the guy I would clean it for him) and just from hitting the rock it shattered like that.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You can identify tempered glass with polarized glasses. You llok at the glass in a bright light, Lihe sun light. You will see a checker board pattern in the glass.

1 person likes this.
  6. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

I just found another 29 gallon tank... it appears to be "Perfecto" brand - can anyone tell me whether or not this tank is made of tempered glass? Thanks in advance...

7. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

+1 one of two easy ways I know to reliably figure it out. The other is to try and cut it.

8. Click Here!

9. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

I used the polarized glasses+Laptop screen method on my new tank and none of the pane appear abnormal... now i just have to wait for my new drill bit.

10. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Here is a picture of the new tank through polarized glasses with the white LCD screen in the back.

[​IMG]

11. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

Use daylight. you will want less coherent light than an lcd produces. Look for the interference pattern

12. RutgersReef

RutgersReef Bristle Worm

Daylight?? That means I have to wait for day!! haha. I noticed a lot of video guides recommending the use of an LCD screen.. but I'll try the sunlight when it appears. Any particular technique? Or just put the tank in a bright window and look at it with the glasses on?