Unresolved Sharp turn for the worse

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Jun 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Water has cleared up a bit and things have seemed to stabilize. Doing twice a week water changes still but may start to slow down.. My levels are staying somewhat consistent. I want to start feeding a bit more corals are looking a little hungry. I wanted to start to does with kent a and b to keep my Alk and ca levels stable. my Alk goes a bit low. Not sure how much and what the best way to dose is. I was looking into a doser but didn't want to spend the money just yet. So if i was to dose 10mls of each per day (hypothetical) would I dose all at once at night or does it have to be spread out through out the day. I dont' want to create chaos in the tank again. Here are my current levels as of yesterday

CA 430
    Nitrate 2
    Ammonia 0
    Alk 7.3 (2.62)
    Mg 1470
    ph 8.0
    Salinity 1.025

2. Click Here!

3. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I dose twice a day. As you said numbers look good except for alk. I would suggest starting half or less of recommended dose and test. I test once a day when adjusting. Best to be too low than too high on chems.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Remember your Alk. will rise naturally in the daytime so testing at the same time every day is VERY important.
    It is best to dose in the morning before the lights come on as this will be when your Alk. is at its lowest point.

Billme likes this.
  5. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

How did the lights out/on work out?

6. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Did you end up changing salts? If so, did it seam to make a difference? Only reason I ask is that I swapped from instant ocean to red sea pro about 6-7 months ago, and after reading this thread I checked and had my LFS double check my nitrates and they are way to high (60). I have a 2.5 year established tank and do 15% water changes every 2 weeks so I dont think the nitrates is due to lack of maintenene. I will be switching back to instant ocean and will see if it will reduce my nitrates.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

What levels were nitrates before you changed salt?

8. Click Here!

9. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I was always around 10-20 at most before

10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

any other changes since changing salt ( water changes frequency, additional fish/feeding, dosing chemicals, ect.)?

11. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Not really. Water changes every two weeks as normal. No added fish or corals. Same amount of feeding of PE mysis any nori sheets. I have never dosed anything. I always have run carbon in a bag in the sump. I did add a phosban reactor to the sump about 2-3 months ago, that would really be the only change in the past year.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I'll be curious to see what happens to the nitrates if you decide to change back to IO, though it may take a while to see the difference.