Unresolved Sharp turn for the worse

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Jun 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

The red sea product is a carbon source I'm sure. It should drop the nitrate and remove some phosphate because of the Redfield ratio. Keep an eye out for any slimy build up while using it.

2. Click Here!

3. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Not dosing anything else right now. I have stuff but wanted to make sure all my other stuff leveled off a bit. Nervous to dose with anything at the moment.

I think its dropping it. Been 3 days now. interesting you talk about a slimy build up. I did notice the inside of the tank(glass) gets a film on it. Have had that the past few days. Didn't used to get that before.

4. Pete polyp

Pete polyp Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That's from the carbon, you may want to back off just a little. It can lead to a cyano outbreak

5. andru1313

Ok thank you. That is the last thing I want to deal with. I will lower my dose...

6. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I suspect with the frequency of your water changes the alk will only go in the right direction.

andru1313 likes this.
  7. andru1313

So noticed this morning and now this afternoon the water seems to be cloudy. I turned my pumps off and say cloudy water.. Would the Red Sea NO3:pO4-X Nitrate make the water cloudy? This is something new my water has always been clear in the past..

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Bacterial bloom probably.

Billme likes this.
  10. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

If what Pete says it's correct about the red sea stuff being a carbon source, then it could lead to increased bacteria.

11. andru1313

Hmmmm So now what should I do? Stop dosing? I already reduced the dose. I swapped out my Chemi Pure units and have new ones in there. I will be doing another water change today.

12. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Well, it seems like you have nitrates and phosphates under control. You should be able to maintain your current perameters with just water changes and no dosing. I think the bacterial bloom, if it is a bacterial bloom, should resolve on its own. That's my best guess.