Unresolved Sharp turn for the worse

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Jun 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Check all your pumps to make sure they are working correctly and no frayed wiring.

Did you disturb the sand bed recently?

2. Click Here!

3. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

I'm sorry about your tang :(

andru1313 likes this.
  4. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

All pumps working. I check often. Replaced one if them as well a while back. Have not touched the sand bed. :-(

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

so sorry about your loss :( gosh, it really does seem to be a mystery as to what is going on in the tank - I'm stumped.

andru1313 likes this.
  6. andru1313

Some interesting Test results. So my buddy tested my water. Now I use RedSea test kit.. He uses Salifert.. Interesting results. I also changed my lighting a bit. I lowered my whites down to almost nothing and upped my blues/greens/purples and corals are a bit happier today the ones that are left......
    Ca - 360
    Mg 1400
    Nitrite 0
    Nitrates 40......

So my tests were reading way less than that for nitrates and higher for Ca.. I trust his testing he runs a saltwater specialty store so he tests all the time.

Now I picked up some salifert tests and my nitrates are still high. I am doing daily water changes.. I have a 2 inch or so sand bed. about 60 lbs of live sand in there... Not sure what to do at this point. I am going to do 10g water changes per day now.. Just not sure if that will be to much.. I had to order more salt just ran out today.. Figures.. Should be here tomorrow open to any other suggestions if anyone has any... Thanks for the help once again.

7. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Did you happen to double check the ammonia? My understanding is that anything above 0 indicates a problem.

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

at this point, I really can't think of anything else besides the water changes. I might do every two days instead of every day.

10. andru1313

I checked ammonia and didn't see much. .002 on the redsea test. I tested with an older tester and it was zero so doesn't appear to be an issue.. I am tempted to start pulled some of the sand out but worried that may stir up more bad things.

I have stopped dosing just going to keep up the water changes and see how things play out in the next week.

Billme likes this.
  11. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

I am tempted to start pulled some of the sand out but worried that may stir up more bad things.

How deep is the sand and is it fine or course? The fine/deeper stuff will tend to have more bad stuff down lower due to there being anaerobic bacteria down there.

12. andru1313

Sand bed is around 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand.