Unresolved Sharp turn for the worse

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by andru1313, Jun 26, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

My Mag was 1480. :p Jez Vinny you're as bad as me.

2. Click Here!

3. andru1313

andru1313 Purple Spiny Lobster

Ok this makes sense. Now I have to see if I can find that treatment think its been discontinued. My dogs take something different now..

I only have a mated pair of clowns. no other fish besides the 2 clowns and the tang..

I do have 2 crabs so might try and get them out before i do a treatment. will this have any negative effect on my Clam? I have had it for a while...

4. Corailline

Clam will be fine.

andru1313 likes this.
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

you've gotten expert advice from the pros. I just had a quick question, in your picture it looks like you have a DSB? could something have gotten disturbed in it when you removed the worm? perhaps released toxins into the water column?

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

That really hurts.......:)o_O

7. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

A couple of things. I don't think your alk is too low. Natural seawater is 7. You really don't need to raise it much higher than that IMHO.

Another couple thoughts I'm throwing out there: if your alk is depleting much faster than your ca it may be signs of excess bacterial action as a result of excess nutrients. This could definately explain your pod population explosion as well. When you find a dead fish, is it usually in the morning? That could also stem from excess bacteria leading to oxygen depletion. It wouldn't harm you corals and inverts though.

Scolys and acans are very sensitive to stings from other corals. Are they anywhere near the torch or frogspawn?

How long has your tank been set up?

8. Click Here!

9. andru1313

Thanks I had that trigger for a while. He was small. I know not ideal for the tank but he was never an issue in the tank. The Yellow eye Kole tang had a few discussions and did research. My tank was on the cusp. I don't have a huge fish population. I try not to keep fish that don't belong in a smaller tank. The trigger was one I knew I was pushing the limits on.

I found that worm around my frog spawn I pulled the entire coral out and dipped it which killed the worm completely. So tried not to disturb anything.

Interesting. I found my trigger in the afternoon during the sunset cycle of my lights. That being said I was at work so it could have happened sooner.

The scolly started to retract before i had an issue with the acan. this is a pic of all three. The acan i have dying is the one on the left in the healhty pic. Also that is a pic of the scoly before it started to retract. They are not close to the torch or frogspaw. Tank is almost 3 years old.

healthy Acan and scoly
    [​IMG]
    Unhealty acan
    [​IMG]

10. andru1313

Lost the Tang this morning.. :-(

11. Corailline

Bummer. :(
    You do not have any peppermint shrimp do you?

When was the last time you added any new fish?

12. andru1313

No peppermint shrimp. And it's been 5 months since I added any fish