Shallow frag tank lighting question

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Wrasse Fan, Apr 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrasse Fan

Wrasse Fan Spaghetti Worm

I have a frag tank that is 20" long, 16" wide and 8" tall I was wondering if I could keep Sps 4" up on egg crate and LPS on the bottom at 8" deep with one of these Our Products (the 18" version).

I like the idea of LEDs and I like the price of this fixture but if there not gonna be strong enough for SPS then I will go T-5 I do not have enough cash for high end LEDs.

Also if these LEDs are not strong enough would a 4 bulb T-5 fixture with 96watts be to much?

Thanks in advanced

2. Click Here!

3. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

There is a couple of these on their tanks that are 12in deep I think maybe 14 or 16 and I was not impressed with the brightness at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

me and my buddy have a frag tank that is 8" deep and have an ati 4x39 about 16" above the tank..

5. Wrasse Fan

The problem is hanging the fixture that high isent really an option, I was think of just doing two of these BoostLED. Would that be enough light?

6. saints fan 420

with this frag tank, are you wanting growth or color..we have ours set for color..im about to be setting up a 29 gallon with a 175 6700k halide to grow it fast and then switch it over to the other one for color..

7. Wrasse Fan

well now that mention it I want both...would a 3 fixture set up with two reef configured ones with blue and white LEDs and one all 6500k. My goal is for a display/frag tank so I can grow out frags for my 75 and store frags and what not but at the same time show them off maybe throw in ONE fish haha

8. Click Here!

9. saints fan 420

yeah that would work nicely...

1 person likes this.
  10. barbianj

barbianj Hammer Head Shark

I've been trying out a 17 watt Rapid LED PAR 38. I've been running the bulb at 27" above the corals, and it has a 14" diameter at a PAR of 60, with 160 in the center. At 23", the PAR in the center was tested at 260, with a PAR of 60 at 12".

I have a Red Planet growing nicely in the center, and acans and palys at the 14" mark, with a couple of chalice's a little beyond that. There are 28 pieces total, and room for a little more. :p

I am very impressed with the growth and color of the bulb. I have a few rescue pieces that started to recover very quickly. The color is better than in the DT with a six bulb TEK with ATI bulbs.

IMO, the LED's seem "less bright" because the light is more directional. It doesn't appear to spill out of the aquarium.

1 person likes this.
  11. Wrasse Fan

Thank you both for the input i'm gonna go for a couple of them barbinj said exactly what I wanted to hear less light spilling out if the aquarium.

12. Zander

Zander Spaghetti Worm

What type of fish/verts are you going to put in? I am curious what else I should add as I am setting up a similar frag tank as well.