SG levels

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Guest, Aug 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

How do you lower or raise SG levels? By adding more alt? And what is pH? How do you lower or raise that too?

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

4. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hi Brock! Welcome to 3Reef!

Sounds like you are new to the hobby! Do you have a tank now? or are you thinking about getting one?

A good basic , but inexpensive book is Paletta's book, The New Marine Aquarium...I'm pretty sure that is the exact name. It's about $15 and goes into all the basics.

Of course, there is lots of info under the chemistry section of this website.

Have you had experience with any fish tanks at all? pH is a basic skill you need for both fresh and salt water. It relates how basic or acidic the water is. Some freshwater need soft (or acidic) water, that is pH of about 6, some need neutral pH of about 7, and some need more basic (or hard water) pH of 8 to 8.4.

Unfortunately, what you need to know cannot be all given to you through this or any site. You need to get the basics down so you know what to ask. ;D

I will be happy to help you,
    but help us help you by doing some reading [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Wow you 2 are a lot of help ::)

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Smart Ass ???

Is that a name or a description?

John

7. Guest

Guest Guest

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Water;num=1092362935;start=0#4 date=12/11/04 at 17:51:30]Smart Ass ???

Is that a name or a description?

John [/quote]

Yes

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Well to answer the question at hand. To Raise Specific Gravity levels you would add salt. To lower Specific Gravity levels you would add water.

To raise or lower Ph you would add a Ph Adjuster.

These are direct answers to the question. I would suggest you purchase a book. The one Birdlady mentioned by Mike Paletta is an excellent choice for a beginner.

Welcome to 3reefs and the hobby. Please ignore the rude responses. This forum in general is a great tool for all of us. Some people get some knowledge behind them and they don't remember how it was when they began.

If you want to enjoy the hobby do the research or you will end up broke and unhappy. Learn from others mistakes and don't repeat them.

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Pity :)  Now run along and show mamma what you did.  I'm sure it's time for your nap

11. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

[quote author=JohnO link=board=Water;num=1092362935;start=0#7 date=12/11/04 at 18:35:25]Pity :)  Now run along and show mamma what you did.  I'm sure it's time for your nap

[/quote]

Smart A** [smiley=hehe.gif]

12. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

John,

Coming from you, I consider that a compliment :)

John