SFILIGOI Genseses 560 Hybrid LED & T5 Pendant!

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Bluestag, Aug 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

The green and red lighting is not about how it looks to the human eye, but its about the different spectrum of light that the coral gets.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

very impressive looking light, congrats!
    the green is an interesting new twist. I was under the impression that green wasnt utilised much by corals (would have trouble remembering where I came across such a claim)? it appeared to make orange stand out in your tank tho? is that right?
    do you notice the red having an effect on any specific coral colours either?
    thanks for sharing

4. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Green isn't used by photosynthesis at all I am pretty sure...at least not in plants at least. And red light is more used by nuisance algae that's why everyone says to not use lights below 10k because it has I higher red constant of light.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

Red and Green are not necessary for our corals. As a matter of fact, really only blue is. Most of the other colors are filtered out of the water before they see the corals in the wild. RGB lighting is purely asthetic for our purposes. The biggest downfall of LED lighting has been spectrum. MH have long been known to get colors out of corals that LEDs, at least the combinations currently being used in aquarium fixtures, have not been able to in the past. There has been a lot of talk of PUR for the corals health. What the corals need. Although we need PUR for the health of the corals, the term has been over hyped.

Per Dana Riddle:
    "It should be noted that light not absorbed by photopigments and the coral animal is reflected and results in our visual perception of ‘color.’ I think most hobbyists will likely prefer a visually-pleasing light over a photosynthetically-efficient light (which would appear reddish-blue in color).

My point is that we, as hobbyists, shouldn’t get carried away with this concept and PUR is more of a factor in low-light (photosynthetically sub-saturating) intensities."

The fact is that most all high quality lighting fixtures in the hobby are able to provide levels of light that are able to photosynthetically saturate our corals. the green and red colors end up being used more for asthetics than for photosynthesis. My Vitrea LEDs are also RGB. I have no idea why they never advertised that fact but they were definitely one of if not the first with RGB lighting for aquariums. Like with televisions, RGB allows for a near infinite color sprectrum.

1 person likes this.
  6. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

Do Green and Red help out the spectrum? I remember the projection TV they were using Red, Green and blue color (RGB) for their TV. I have read if you run LED by itself it doesn't have enough spectrum for the corals, the corals will turn dull in color.

7. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

No, as gcarroll pointed out, blue is likely the most important. The red and green are for our viewing pleasure. Actually Dana Riddle, has a hypothesis that red is detrimental to coral growth, and has shown some experimental evidence to support this. I don't know if this is true, but a little should be fine and you should get much more vibrant looking corals. Blue alone tends to make things look washed out.

As to LEDs, corals don't loose color with LEDs, they loose color with low PAR. Many of the first generations of LEDs had quite low par, and people who didn't know what they are talking came up with all sorts of hypotheses. The truth is it was primarily low PAR though and this isn't the case anymore. People have some very colorful led tanks. There may be some perceived coloration differences, due to spectrums, although this is also changing with the availability of more types of LEDs.

---
    - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

Channel 1 & 2 for T5 are ramming up slowly to 39%! I'm using 2 Blue Plus and 2 Purple Plus T5
    Channel 3 for white is 12% and Channel 4 for Royal blue is 28%!
    Channel 5 for red is 4% and Channel 6 for green is 8%!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Man, that thing is flipping awesome! Way too cool, I still don't like this thread :lol:

11. Bluestag

Bluestag Fire Worm

Thanks for the comment.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Wow. Just an all around awesome light fixture. I like the t5 / led combination. The addition of red and green leds is a nice touch. Red and green wavelengths ar reflected which improves the corals' perceived colors somewhat.

I just don't like the price tag. :) But in this hobby, you get what you pay for.