SEVERE algae problem. Brown/green slime over all rocks! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Cyruskayos, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

i dont understand exactly what your saying, but if you thought i was saying i didnt have a powerhead, i didnt mean that...i HAVE a powerhead which pushes 660gph around in the main tank. what i DID mean was i dont think i have the "DI" part on my water filtration system (its just a ro unit, when i bought it i didnt know the difference.... :( )

but, i have a clown, tang, and blenny. no damsels. they all share their food and get along very well.

what should i do? i have a ro unit, but i think i need a ro/di unit, i dont want my money to go to waste... :( is their some way i can just add on the di? or swap out my ro for a ro/di? please give me some suggestions!

could not having the "DI" have caused all of these problems?

i'll be back on here tomorrow evening/night with my water parameters. i'm doing a water change tomorrow morning. i dosed my tank with chemiclean 2 days ago, it helped slightly, still a long ways to go. but i'm going to bed now, hope to see some replies when i get back on :) ...thanks, you dont know how much all of your suggestions have helped.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

4. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

How old are your bulbs I changed mine and have fixed that problem. I would also turn off my halide for about 4 days or so.

5. Cyruskayos

ya know, i dont know why, but i just read this review of the salt i have been using...here it is:

that is the EXACT situation i'm in. i'm going to make some water and mix up some salt and test that freshly made salt water

6. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

You should try the phosban reactor with rowaphos i had a similar problem in my old 55gallon got a phosban and it went away with in two weeks and the skimmer pulled sludge

7. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

Here is what I was talking about your parameters seems ok, as far as what you are holding on your hand, and what I see! maybe the picture is not as clear for me as it is for others......those readings on your hand indicates to me that your phosphates are (0) and the nitrates are below (5ppm's)
    you can pm me or ask in public, but this is my last post on this thread!!!

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

cyru where do you live near richmond, VA because theres a fish world near me. my father has the same problem with his tank. he said its possible that the live rocks a putting out phosphate but he fixed his with rowaphos and a phosphate reactor

sorry missed that you lived in CH. anyway rowaphos is the way to go dont buy the cheap phosphate remover becuase it breaks down and clouds the tank

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  10. Cyruskayos

this is good right?

PhosGuard

11. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Yes. Seachem stuff in general is very good. I use a mixture of this and carbon in my phos reactor.

1 person likes this.
  12. kimmy

kimmy Feather Duster

Wow!!;) What a thread!! Maybe I missed this, but after scrubbing the rocks, did you try vaccuming your sand? If it's not for filtration, shouldn't be an issue. When I had a cyno problem, I did a water change, took the rocks out that had cyno on them and scrubbed them in the "dirty"water. Mind you ther was also a bucket of clean water to rinse off and then but back into the display. How much rock do you have in there? I bought the MOD for the Maxijet 1200, and holy crap, I went from 2 PH's to 1 because of how strong it is.