SEVERE algae problem. Brown/green slime over all rocks! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Cyruskayos, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

its a glass tank...and i have the powerhead pointed running across the back and then it basically goes in a circle around the tank...i pointed it that way in the first place for the hard coral i have on the top...which way should i point it?

and idk if there are many more options in my tank (rock-arrangement wise) :( do you really think if i were to go rearranging my rock etc i wouldnt hurt any of my fish? i have a sailfin tang, lawnmower blenny, clownfish, 3 turbo snails, and 3 other sandsifter snails.

how would i go removing my pulsing xenia from the rocks?

how would i reattach them?

my rocks are mainly large...i have one GIGANTIC rock that is the shape of a "W" or a "M" , and 5-6 other large peices...when i set up this tank, i spent 7 hours or so arranging the rock....

so i kinda dont want to go moving it because i dont think their are many more options...what can i use to scrub the rock in the position their in now? i would like to scrub the rock where they currently are and not have to remove them.

so i will get some phosban.

is their anything else i can purchase that will help? where will i put the phosban? ontop of my bioballs?

also, i need to add some sand...can i just scoop the sand in and dump it (gentely) ontop of the current sandbead? it will be going ontop of that algae....should i add it then just mix it up with my hands?

thank you!

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

If you scrub the rock in the tank to remove algae, then definitely crank up your skimmer to wet skim to help pull it all out asap.

4. Cyruskayos

okay. what should i use to scrub and usually when i blow the rock off with the powerhead, it will circulate for a little bit, then the little pieces of algae will reattach themselves to my live rock, how do i prevent this and get it to float to the top?

thank you

5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Use an old toothbrush or something similar. Don't let it settle, afterwards blow it around with your powerhead like you mentioned you have done. Not much more you can do for a quick fix.
    Re-read through what ReefSparky posted on page 2 of this thread. It's only a temporary fix, so if I were you, I wouldn't spend much time or energy on scrubbing rocks, other than to make the tank look better quickly if you were expecting company or something...

6. Cyruskayos

okay...you were talking about this post right?

.....so basically i have 2 possible solutions...does all of that sound alright^^^ im thinking its either my bulb or/and i need to run phosban

opinions?

7. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

...And maybe something funny with your RO/DI still, even though your test reads 0 phosphates? They gotta be getting in there somehow. Either in the Food or the Water? What else is added? So maybe time for a new filter membrane? Otherwise there might be an abundant source of silicates/phosphates in the rock/sand in your tank. Are you certain it was 100% aragonite sand?

8. Click Here!

9. Cyruskayos

not really... :-/

what do you recommend i do? should i remove all of the sand i have and replace it? where is a good place to get aragonite sand for cheap? should it be wet or dry sand?

1 person likes this.
  10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

You'll have to look on the label on the bag.
    I think Aragonite Sand is basically calcuim carbonate from pulverized crushed coral. The main thing is it does not contain silicates. Silicates are found in most other common sands, such as used in sandboxes and to mix in cement, etc... Silicates are a food source for algae, and algae will thrive on it.

The bags with wet sand are usally livesand, aragonite sand in saltwater with live bacteria in it - bacteria to break down the ammonia->nitrite->nitrate. Dry aragonite sand is just void of the live bacteria.

Check where you got the sand to see what kind it is. If it's common silicate-based sand, then it's all got to go. The best sand is the finest (smallest grain size) aragonite live sand you can find, in my opinion.

1 person likes this.
  11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Call Richard or Scott,,, Richard will be easiest I think Tell him Roger said to help you out what the aragonite I'd recommend Custom sea floor Its best to try Richard in the afternoon if you get Shannon she can help you alos.
    276-3474
    Oh you in Colonial Heights is that shop still around there John and Shirley Shuber ran it A&K Aquariums It used to be on Washington St in Petersburg Just down from Ft Lee's main Gates . Just curious as he and I where all getting in the local Marines sales along the same time frame in 1971 or so . Petersburg got a tad bad and they relocated to Colonial Heights about 85 or so .

12. R34dawn

R34dawn Ocellaris Clown

The only difference between Argonite and silica sand is that the silica sand has no buffering capabilities compared to the argonite kind, that is basically crushed coral etc, I have used and are currently using silica sand with no adversed effects about 60lbs and 30lbs of fiji pink, and haven't had any algae problems. bottom line is the whole aquarium is made of silica and if there was a problem with that probably would be made of something else,with the exception of acrylic ones.
    You can read it for your self at the link below
    Reefs.org: Where Reefkeeping Begins on the Internet - Silica Sand