SEVERE algae problem. Brown/green slime over all rocks! Please Help!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Cyruskayos, Jul 9, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

What's the nitrate reading coming out of the ro unit? How much flow do you have? One powerhead doesn't seem like it would be enough. Cut back your MH to about 6 hours a day.

Just wanted to add: I have about 1100gph flow in a 38 gallon tank, and it's not an excessive amount. You would probably want at least that much in your 46 gallon.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Cyruskayos

Cyruskayos Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

the lights are from January when i bought them

here is a picture....the solid white square outlines are caves...the dotted outline is a cave in the back of the tank (behind the rocks) and the circular lines are explaining the waterflow

[​IMG]

4. Cyruskayos

its 36 gallons and my powerhead is a "tunze nanostream 6025" which produces 660 gph

5. Cyruskayos

yes i got it from joe...i no longer go there though, now i get everything from Atlantis aquariums. I'm in Colonial Heights.

Nitrates were 0.

The halides wernt on when i took any of those pictures, only the actinics. The flash on my camera could have confused you. I got my lights from aquatraders. The bulb is the standard aquatraders brand.

6. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Yes my point exactly i think there are sevral factors that have totally ran this tank over.

Right set up with filtration/skimmer ( removes unwanted nasties )

Feeding the fish ( how much / how often ) and what he's feeding exactly.

The tightly packed rock
    ( any uneaten foods getting in or under by which cleaning crew cannot get to it to eat )

Proper water flow ( helps keep all that muck moving in the water column so the filtration / skimmer can remove it )

How old are the bulbs , ( poor spectrum ? )
    Right now he really doesint need any help encouraging the algae to grow with those lights.

My reasoning behind lowering the photo period "for now" was so he get on top of this problem with every thing else ( he's barely got any thing in the tank that needs 7+ hours of light right now any way ) especialy with MH baring down in such a small tank .

(added )
    Sorry Cyrus i was typing when you posted your tank, that still seems awefully tightly packed to me' ( imo )

7. Cyruskayos

8. Click Here!

9. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Ok Cyrus , what i mean >

Is skimmer operating properly ?
    Are you useing any filter media ?

The rock i did not mean to imply that your tank / LR looked terrible k, But simply packed way to tightly.
    If you'll look at others tanks in here in 3 reef , you'll see exactly what I mean by that k ?

If you wish to rid your self of the "chia pet" farm you have going there, your going to have to do some things to reduce phosphates and discourage algae growth.
    So injuring a fish is a mood point right now (they'll move brother trust me).

You water flow ( you say is 660 gph from sump to tank ) circulating from top to bottom. ( thats your turn over rate )
    I'm talking about "internal tank" flow ( how much flow is within the tank its self )

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  10. Cyruskayos

11. wildreef

wildreef Stylophora

Yes carbon i use as well.
    Phosban is a tad expensive , but lets face it ( you need help right now )
    Use it right now to help you reduce phosphates.

Here are some tank thread with picks that "i" think are great examples of opening up
    ( theres more im sure but time limit here finding them all for you )

It'll give ya a general though theres so many more here that are so nicely scaped
    (look in tank threads)

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/luvreefs23-new-aquascaping-50033.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-off-your-fish-tanks/otty-s-265-w-3-sided-view-39314-17.html
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...40g-saltwater-reef-diys-56k-beware-49211.html

I would scrub that rock , simply to gain the upper hand and help rid your self of this mess
    of algae. ( you have some work to do, there are no simple fixes )

That power head i noticed is facing towrad the back ( pushing water along the back ? )
    and you have a bow front tank, think about it ?
    Your just making circles within the tank with water flow, and your rock is all bunched up in the middle ?
    ehhh'????????
    And yes the rock can touch the glass if you want but dont go banging it aorund like your at a rock quarry .
    Is that tank made of glass or acrylic ?

Glass breaks , and arcylic seems to scratch if you sneeze wrong. ( so be carefull )

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

Sorry, I mistyped. Meant to type a "36" not "46". I still think you need more flow. Get a second (slightly less powerful) powerhead and place it on the other side (to start). Play around with powerhead placement until you get the right flow to all of your substrate.