Several Newbie Questions

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by |-Goku-|, Aug 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Already received my 2 Koralia 1400's :), I heard these were really good

Would you suggest a Flowrate of 1200GPH? What determines this?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

flow rate of the whole tank or the overflow?

If its just the overflow that sounds good. I would like a high flow through the sump since all your filtration is down there, the faster water turns over the faster cleaner water is back in your tank.

4. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Oh, sorry. I mean the flow rate of the Overflow.

Will having to quick of a flow cause problems with the Sump/fuge at all? I'm just kind of puzzled when determining how much flow you want.

5. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well you should really control the flow of the fuge separately by T'ing the return and putting valve on the fuge(ONLY THE FUGE!!! and not one on the other side of the T), But the only difference of a high flow rate through the fuge will do is pull the pods out quicker then you want.
    Other then that you shouldn't have problems assuming you don't have something that constricts the flow from the overflow.

You should also have a valve on the return pump so you can control the flow rate.

6. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

I understand the premise of a slower flow through the fuge, but when you say T off of the return pipe, how do you mean? Say the fuge is in the middle of the sump in a skimmer/fuge/return setup.

also, I appreciate the time you are taking to assist me with this.

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

well never mind that only works if the fuge isn't in the middle.

basically they have these T joints for hose, that will split the flow into two streams, have one go into the fuge and slowly cause it to trickle over into the rest of the sump(with the skimmer). Have the other split(with more flow) go straight into the skimmer and return pump section.

honestly if I was you I would wait on the fuge, it might be outdated in a couple yrs(atleast for nutrient removal), and see how these biopellet reactors play out. Many people(including me) are having success lowering nitrates and phosphates with them.

8. Click Here!

9. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

I guess I could just create the sump without a fuge, and put some LR in the middle.

I've also been reading about Sand, and how deep you want it. Is there any certain reason to have a 2" sand bed vs a 4" sand bed?

10. |-Goku-|

|-Goku-| Fire Worm

Quick question. When plumbing the return pump, what part do you use to hook up to the pump?

I know it sounds stupid, but just something I have been wondering about.

Thanks!