setting up refugium with macro

Discussion in 'Algae' started by gkw, Feb 23, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

I am about to get some macro algae and was wondering which one should i get?

I am hearing some good stuff about chaeto. Should I get that? Also someone here told me to dose Iron to keep macro algae...does every type of macro algae need iron?

I can keep the lights on 24/7, but prefer not to. Which one the best?

Thanks!
    GKW

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Yes, It works great.
    No, Supplements should not be required
    You can run the lights at night, a reverse cycle if you want to.

Jim

4. gkw

gkw Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks Jim!

Also, I just finished cycling. What is needed to feed the macro algae?

Should I just go ahead and buy some from someone on ebay with good feedbacks now.

Thanks!

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

The Algae just needs light :)
    When you start to add fish, the phosphates that are generated will also help to feed the algae. You really shouldn't need any supplements.

Jim

6. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

If you just finished cycling I would hold off for a bit, no load in the tank nothing for the algae to feed on.

7. 90_Berlin_joe

90_Berlin_joe Fire Shrimp

Here is a question then should marco be in your sump chamber before or after your skimmer. I have mine after and it has not really taken off like people have discribed. Also what lighting is better for macro. I am going to hook up a hps setup that is water proof but afraid of the heat it will produce. I would rather go with floro.

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Assuming a small sump where you don't split the return, I'd put it before. You will have better control of micro bubbles. I'm sure there are as good or better reasons to put it after. ;) Also, skimmers shouldn't process all of your water. It really shouldn't hurt the growth of your macro if it is in front of the algae. Not that I count, but my big skimmer is fed directly from the return line and dumps it's waste into it's own section of the sump.