setting up a very basic tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by thegocools, Nov 8, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

I've (accidentally) been running a 100 gallon FOWLR with no skimmer. Weird as it may seem it did manage to sustain since June this year the following; a starry moray eel (18"), a panther grouper (12-14"), a humpback grouper (8-10"), a checkered grouper (6-8"), a blue argus (6-7"), a neon damsel (5"), a picasso trigger (5"). I will still put online the old DIY skimmer but this tank managed to survive for so long without one (so even a sea clone will be usable).

I think if it's a new tank get the biggest for a FOWLR. The big fishes have such personalities and predatory habits which make for an interesting pet.

Tank Specs;

100 Gallons
    80lbs live rock
    2-3" sand bed
    2 powerhead
    DIY overhead reservoir (3 gallons) filled with small LR. Like a settling tank.
    DIY counter current skimmer (rehab. not yet installed).
    170watts NO+Acts. For viewing purposes only.
    Monthly Water change 30%.

Also LR is not the same as rocks in the sea. LR are light, porous and made of aragonite/calcium based minerals. I've used broken down washed corals found on beaches and they do fine as base rock.

good luck!

2. Click Here!

3. thegocools

thegocools Plankton

Well i guess aquafilter is good enough to order ill go through with it. I am also going to order a super skimmer II along with it.
    I live in the tropics but the room does not recive direct sunlight, but it gets indirect sunlight.
    As for the LR from the beach i dont think it is possible cause the beach is a good 20 hrs travel from my place around 800km. I guess i would have to buy it from a LFS for a premium price.
    By now you guys would have got am idea as to what kind of equpment i would be using, so the next obvious question, what kind of life would the tank be able to support. My LFS person says it can only take in about 3 hardy fish. Remember its a 50 gallon.
    Lastly i would like to thank everybody in here. You have all been very helpfull, frankly speaking never expected so much help in such detail. Pls excuing me for asking so many questions and some questions repeatedly, i really dint have a clue about saltwater aquariums. Thanks a lot

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=thegocools link=board=Newbie;num=1068310382;start=15#21 date=11/10/03 at 17:17:47] Lastly i would like to thank everybody in here. You have all been very helpfull, frankly speaking never expected so much help in such detail. Pls excuing me for asking so many questions and some questions repeatedly, i really dint have a clue about saltwater aquariums. Thanks a lot
    [/quote]

Hey that's what this place is about. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
    This was a good discussion - I think it will help out a lot of new people.

You LFS suggestion was a good one for the record, but let's hear what you fish you would like and go from there.

:)

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

That's what we're here for, no apologies for questions asked.

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Hi "thegocools"

From gist of posts here, I think I understand you are buying up equipment to take back home to India...

Great idea for for stuff that may not be available there.

But I have thougt on lr and livestock...

Don't know where you live in India...but how much would a roundtrip ticket be for a weekend "gathering" trip down to Maldives? --- hook up with a dive outfit...maybe even take a short "course" - then go out get what you want want...pack/bag up and bring straight home...

Now that would be a "dream" tank for me. All self "gathered" stock...(not to mention a "Maldives" trip...which is high up on list of my things to do someday - ;)

Regards,

OmarD

[​IMG]

7. thegocools

thegocools Plankton

[quote author=omard link=board=Newbie;num=1068310382;start=15#24 date=11/12/03 at 05:38:05]Hi "thegocools"

From gist of posts here, I think I understand you are buying up equipment to take back home to India...

Great idea for for stuff that may not be available there.

But I have thougt on lr and livestock...

Don't know where you live in India...but how much would a roundtrip ticket be for a weekend "gathering" trip down to Maldives? --- hook up with a dive outfit...maybe even take a short "course" - then go out get what you want want...pack/bag up and bring straight home...

Now that would be a "dream" tank for me. All self "gathered" stock...(not to mention a "Maldives" trip...which is high up on list of my things to do someday -  ;)

Regards,

OmarD

[​IMG] [/quote]

Hi Omar,
    thats a great idea. never really thought about it. I live in the southern region of india. i was planning to take a holiday around jan, may be ill give maldives a serious thought. but im not sure if i would be able to get the LR and other stuff from there cause the transpotation could be a problem.
    thanks for the great suggestion,
    Gokul

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

10. thegocools

thegocools Plankton

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=Newbie;num=1068310382;start=15#26 date=11/12/03 at 08:25:05]Keep us posted Gokul![/quote]
    Sure Craig. I have asked my cousin to get the skimmer and the filter disscussed above. It is gonna be an other 3 weeks before he come to india. As soon as he get here i will resume the same thread. I am sorry i posted this thread a good month in advance before setting up the tank but i wanted to absolutely sure getting it right before i start anything. Ill post as soon as something comes up and ill make sure its in the same thread so that the contiuety is there. :D

11. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=thegocools link=board=Newbie;num=1068310382;start=15#27 date=11/13/03 at 05:18:46]
    Ill post as soon as something comes up and ill make sure its in the same thread so that the contiuety is there.  :D[/quote]

Great thinkin' and good luck!

12. aseidman00

aseidman00 Astrea Snail

If you're willing to go really basic and give up the coral and stick with fish only at first, you can begin with sand, whatever light you already have and a cheap fluidized sand filter (on ebay for about 29 buck) and a cheap mechanical filter. Then, as you come across some money add a better light, a protein skimmer, live rock, and begin to add coral. This way you can take your time.