Serpent Starfish

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Chap, Apr 1, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chap

Chap Plankton

I've had a Serpent Starfish for 4 years. The last couple of weeks he was out when the lights where on, I would always see him when the lights where off.
    Tuesday morning I looked in the tank and 3 of his legs where off up to his body the next day another fell off. The 3rd day he died.
    What happened? What is his life span?
    He was so healthy up untill then.

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Hi Chap and welcome to 3reef first of all!
    Did anything else die? What are your water parameters? Did you see any tissue being eaten or discolored?
    What other inverts do you have?
    I would need to know more about the Sea star before giving a chance to answer your thread!

4. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

I'm almost positive I read somewhere that barring predation and disease stars can live indefinitely. I wouldn't think your star died of old age or anything. It could have been a number of things. A swing in specific gravity would be the most suspect but then there's also insufficent food, stress from harrassment etc.

It could be anything really. What have you done in the last week or so. What has been done differently. What has been added. What did it live with. Etc etc.