Serpent Sea Star, loosing arms.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by asilefx, Apr 22, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hmmm. I remember reading somewhere when i has a Sand sifting star that they dont usually take prepared foods (why mine didnt make it) They need a really big DBS.

2. Click Here!

3. powdertang05

powdertang05 Fire Worm

when they have nothing to eat they waste away maybe not enough to eat or high nitrates?

4. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Sifter Seems to be doing ok. I'm adding things to the sand.

My Serpent is doing terrible, his body is turning white and sinking in. He's still taking food, but he only has one arm left. I am thinking about getting a breeders net to QT him, only trouble is getting him, he's been hiding under a rock that is hard to get at.

I'm not sure what to do with him.

5. reefbuzz

reefbuzz Plankton

Sand sifting sea stars are only recommended for 150+ gal tanks. DSB is a bonus, and they are detrivores so krill isn't a primary food for them.

About your dying serpent, if you feel that your tank is sufficiently established with LR, sand or both, let your pods eat him under the rock and everything will be fine. You'll come out of it with a healthy increase in amphipods and copepods, etc. and then do a water change. Your tank should be unaffected with skimming and keeping an eye out in case it needs an emergency water change.

With that said, removing the serpent star to QT is a better solution if possible; I'm just saying that if it doesn't happen, it's OK.

6. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Serpents arms are growing back and it's doing really well. He's still hiding, but he's taking food.

The sifter has been climbing the walls lately. I still haven't feed him yet, he won't take any food I offer. He's making my sand nice and clean though, at least on one side of the tank.

I didn't know sifters were only meant for 150 and up. I bought it off live aquaria, they said 55 gallons. I also found out they get a foot long, which they also failed to mention.

I'm moving soon and I'll be adding more sand to my tank. He's only 5 inches now so I'll keep him until he gets too big.

7. asilefx

asilefx Skunk Shrimp

Update:

Both Starfish are alive and well. I added a bunch of extra sand for the sifter.