Seneye Reef Aquarium Monitor - Review

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Thatgrimguy, May 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I took OCreef.com up on there offer for a great deal on the Seneye Aquarium Monitor and will be writing a review of it here.

Seneye Reef monitors all of the following: (from the ocreef webpage)

Temperature - constantly monitors water temperature, so you can get an alert if your heater breaks or your chiller fails.
    Free Ammonia - monitors the highly toxic free ammonia (NH3) at very low levels, so you can stop your fish from dying from Ammonia poisoning.
    pH - the Seneye monitors pH in your aquarium between 6.4 and 9. This range is ideal for most aquatic life and by focusing on this range increased accuracy has be achieved.
    Water Level - readings are only taken when the Seneye device is in water, no false readings.
    LUX - monitors ambient LUX and can be used to take direct LUX readings, understand how your light degrade over time.
    Kelvin - understand where on the kelvin range your lights are and how light can change over time.
    PAR - monitor the Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), understand if you have the correct quantity and quality of light for your corals or plants.

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

These are the tests I plan to run. Let me know what else you would like to see.

PH - vs. brand new freshly calibrated lab grade ph probe on my apex
    Temp - vs. apex vs. old school floating thermometer
    Par - vs. Apogee par meter

Need suggestions here
    Kelvin vs. ?
    Lux vs. ?
    Ammonia vs. ? (though I already know it's very low so I doubt I can appropriately test this)

4. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I dont how you are going to compare the last three. Although it will be cool to see ammonia levels being constantly monitored.

5. jtnova13

jtnova13 Bristle Worm

Everything you need for $189? That seems too good to be true. Does it let you see your tank parameters over the web?

6. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Yes, or via text or email. Watch.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Yeah, it's a great deal! We'll see how it stands up and how easy it is to use soon! Even works on WiFi apparently! I'm interested to see if there are ammonia readings after feedings or maybe if I leave my sump off a while... I'm going to try to get it to read something!

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

Your a lucky man to be one of the first to test :) I'm gonna follow this cuz 200 bux for all that isn't bad. Good luck with the test run!

10. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I received the unit yesterday! The testing should stay relatively accurate as the test media is replaced monthly. It's a "Slide." The slides come with Seneye+ which is the monitoring service with text messaging and email alerts. It's $30 per 3 month pack and service. One thing to keep in mind though is each month is separate with it's slide, so you don't have to use them exactly at the month. You may want to only keep a super close eye on the ammonia and PH after adding new fish or maybe every other month and stretch it out. Or you can keep a constant eye for $10/month.

I didn't get a chance to get it all unpacked until today. You have to soak the slide in your own tank water for 48 hours before use. So grab a glass fill it with tank water and drop it in. Seems like the slides last about a month each. OCreef sent me an additional 3 months supply so we have 4 months of tests here!

The slide is soaking from now until Thursday morning.

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I also got some really interesting and what seems to be very high quality pellet and flake foods as bonuses from OCreef. My fish went nuts over both... though those fat boys go nuts over most anything lol.

12. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The PH and Temp readings are very close or exact to my Apex and my freshly calibrated PH probe. So far so good.. I don't like that it has to be plugged in to either a computer, a power cord that isn't provided or a Wifi extender that isn't provided. It makes it tougher to use. I have an old laptop that I set with it for now.