Resolved Semi-pressing matter: Clams and GSP

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by greysoul, Feb 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Hey guys, hope this isn't too far out of the bounds for an ASAP post. After posting in the clam thread I got to thinking... I am elbows deep in my tank, my clam is NOT happy being in a specimen container, and I only have a few hours to put a plan into action....

this is a cut-and-paste from my thread on the issue here: http://www.3reef.com/forums/clams/clams-green-star-polyps-130055.html#post1292974

I _COULD_ reset things back to the way I started with, put the clam back on the floor and leave it on its side... but I don't think it would be healthy, and I can't really work on it tomorrow, so Monday would be the soonest I could get more work done on it.

Thanks for the quick help, and again I apologize if this is just flagrant abuse of the ASAP section.

-Doug

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Why do you not just set the clam in a small dish or container higher up in the rock work until you can fix or adjust the gsp issue. I do not believe clams have any natural defense against corals other than withdrawing the mantel or closing.
    Personally I have never had a clam in physical contact with gsp so not sure how that would work out. Pretty sure though you do not want the gsp to begin to grow onto the shell.
    If I had to choose it would be the clam over the gsp by a long shot.

Oh and LOL at "flagrant abuse".

4. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

yes... I guess I could use a small dish on top of the GSP.

Still, would like it to be ON the rock long term, since it is a boring clam, by which I mean an interesting clam, but one which has a natural instinct to bore into the rock. Although if I had to pick between boring and exciting, I would say it's a bore on both account...

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

The gsp will eventually grow onto the clam shell which wouldn't be an ideal situation for the clam. What I would do is put a flat piece of rock or shell on the sand and place the clam on top. That way the clam will have something to set its foot on and can be easily moved if need be.

6. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

The clam was on a shell for about 2 years, and it never seems to have attached. I sometimes see bysal (sp?) strands floating around under the clam, but if I ever even nudged the rock the clam would fall over. Maybe it couldn't attach? the shell is a half a scallop shell...

Wish I knew more about how they are in the wild... I mean, out there there's no human intervention if a coral starts to encroach on a clam... what do they do? I can't believe they would just die...

Anyways... current situation is it's on the rock, and I may find a shell it can sit on... the shell I had was far too big for the rock, so we'll see what happens.

Anyways, as this is less urgent now, I will focus on the thread in the clam section.

-Doug

7. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

my max clam once scooted a little to close to my hammer coral and the hammers stinging cells didn't hurt the clam i was surprized and happy that no damage was done, i'v also been is fish stores and seen clams with glass nems growing all over them and no damage was apparent?