Semi Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by PGodin, Feb 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PGodin

PGodin Plankton

Hi!

After 10 years of being away from saltwater aquariums I'm getting back into the hobby. I used to have a 65g FO tank. Let me tell you, in 10 years things have changed a lot.

I just ordered a Tenecor 75g hex reef ready tank. It will be coming in in about 4 weeks. My short term goals (6 months or so) is to go with LS and LR and eventually around 5 or 6 fish. Long term ( 1 year or so) I want to start incorporating soft corals.

I've been reading up a lot about live rock and sand. I will probably go with 100lbs of LR. Live sand is where most of my questions are. I've seen some guides on the web that recommend going with a 2" base. Other guides suggest going with 4" base (DSB). What are the pro's and con's of going either way.

I'm also having trouble figuring out how much LS I will need. I've seen some sites that state 1lb/gallon. The tank I've order is not a wide tank, but a tall one. It is listed with a width of 25" and a height of 30". I'm thinking that 1lb/g is too much. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help. I'm mostly a lurker until I'm comfortable with the subject. I'm sure I'll have more questions though.

2. Click Here!

3. szogun

szogun Feather Duster

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I have a hex too, they are pretty tricky with the rocks, but yours is much bigger than mine, I have a 20. I'd say try to shoot for the 1lb/gallon at least.

The key with rock is to scout out and find some nice porous stuff. This will provide maximum surface area for the bacteria and provide better filtration. And you won't need as much of it.

The dense heavy crap is not going to help as much.

With sand there are so many variables. My old tank had a 2-3+ inch sand bed and things were great, but I don't remember what my nitrates were back then, I think they were detectable but pretty low.

I have a 4 inch sand bed now and as of last week's test I had 0 nitrates. So I am digging that.

I don't use the sugar fine sand that a lot of people use though. If I had to guess, it's around 2mm diameter sand.

I'd say other than porous, nice rock, my biggest recommendation would be to get an R.O. filter to purify your tap water.

Hope that helps, thanks for joining! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

matt