Selcon?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by NanaReefer, Jun 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

What say you all on the use of this product? How do you use it?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

what type of food are you using. I use it on certain foods and not on others.

4. NanaReefer

Well to start with my Mandarin has taken to frozen brine shrimp :( and knowing its pretty much worthless as far as nutrition, I wanted to soak it in the Selcon.

5. felixpaws

felixpaws Astrea Snail

I soak all my frozen food in it. I drop a few drops, per cube of whatever it is. I do rinse my live foods, though, so, I'd do that first. Formula 1, formula 2, and blends of that nature I just drop several drops on, then put them in the fridge, until thawed, and chop the foods up, mix into the selcon, and feed, as a mash. I have a yellow eye kole tang, that had hole in the head, when I got him, and the holes on his head have gotten a little smaller, although, to be honest, it could just be good husbandry. If it's frozen brine shrimp, I'd let it thaw, rinse it in a brine shrimp net, then let it soak in however much selcon you want to use, for at least 15 minutes. Should give your mandarin some nutrition. You could, also, buy some spirulina brine shrimp, and see if he'll eat those, as well. It would add a lot more nutrition, than brine shrimp alone. Live? I don't know. Anyone?

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I love Selcon. I put half a pipette in a shout glass with my food, set it soak for 10 minutes and feed. It works especially good for HLLE and to get new introductions to eat.

I find it is as much as a appetite enhancer if not better than garlic, and contains the fatty acids and vitamins I want my fish to get.

7. NanaReefer

This is good-thanks guys :)

8. Click Here!

9. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

reason i asked on what food you use, some food already has HUFA and vitamins in it, like RODS food etc. Rest of the food I use I do, but I dont add it for RODS. I also gut load all my live feed with one of the additives (not using selcon right now, but Brightwell Amino Omega)

10. NanaReefer

I'm still experimenting food wise with my Mandarin. He's my only concern ATM. He's eating great but not exactly what I want him to eat. So while I'm trying different foods on him I'd like to know he's at least getting his vitamins :) Eventually I'd like to end the brine shrimp. But first I gotta find something he likes just as much-lol.

11. affordable Aqua

affordable Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Slightly OT. If you have gotten the mandarin to eat brine shrimp, try giving it some blood worms and cubed tiny Hikari mysis. I had a mandarin that happily ate frozen food, the key was to use a turkey baster and drop the food right in front of him. They seem to be really near-sighted and if the food isn't moving directly in front of their noses, they never notice it.

12. NanaReefer

WOW!! Finally some who's touched on exactly what I'm going through feeding this lil bugger~lol. I am using a 12" piece of black tubing (from my ro/di unit) and a syringe for target feeding. You are right, his eyesight seems terrible.
    I've tried the blood worms, chopped. But chopping them up removed all the blood from them so what's the point? He's not into the pellets at all as they are sinking and anything on the substrate is lost to him.