Sebae Anemone Trying to Hide

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by medhatreefguy, Mar 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

I purchased an anemone four days ago and the LFS store guy had told me it was a red foot anemone. I researched it and came to the conclusion that it is a Sebae anemone. It does have a reddish foot but it is white with purple tips on the tentacles. When I introduced it I set it front and center in my tank and it immediately moved to the base of my live rock and conveniently tucked itself almost out of sight. On the second night I fed it a piece of raw shrimp and it ate the shrimp no problem so I am thinking it should be settling in OK. My problem is the tentacles are still really short and it is still tucked away so feeding it is a real pain because it is difficult to get the food near its mouth. I have a 110 Gal tank with 2 x 250 MH 20000K and 2x HO T5 54W Actinic. In the LFS it wasn't under MH lighting so maybe that's the reason its withdrawn. Is this typical for an anemone to take this long to acclimatize? Do the Sebae like to be tucked away in rock crevises or do they typically like open water?

2. Click Here!

3. dustingrantham

dustingrantham Plankton

from what i have read and experienced anemones tend to do what ever they want lol. when i first got mine i tried to place him where i thought he would look the best or best be seen and it ended up moving to the back of my tank. it is probably just getting used to the new surrounding. let him do his thing for a little while and he will find his permanent spot. just keep an eye on it, when mine started moving around it got sucked onto the filter guard and that was a pain to get off.

finallylivin32 likes this.
  4. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

i just lost my sebae, It did exactly what youi are describing.. Only diff thing is you have MH i only have Pc's on a 26 gal nano... Keep a close on eye on it, mine moved about the tank to a dark hole then ... Well tunerd it self into a ball and then died... was a pain to get out of the rocks.. So try and keep it where you can get to it in case its ready to go down the porclien god....

Good luck....!!!

5. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

I have been keeping a close eye on it. It doesn't appear to be declining, it has opened up quite a bit since I got it but the tentacles are still really short. I have a tomato clown in the tank and it hasn't even bothered with it, I have read that anemones will acclimatize much faster with the help of a clown but it doesn't appear that this is going to happen. I was thinking about moving it to my Red Sea Max which is more established than my 110 and has two false perculas but it only has PC lighting so moving it to less light might not be a good thing either.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

How long did you acclimate? What are your params? Age of tank?
    It doesnt sound good really. Anemone's are hard enough to keep already, and the sebae is among the hardest to keep of the anemone's. Keep a close eye on it. I've personally had a sebae wipe out nearly an entire tank.

Swisswiss likes this.
  7. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

Params:

Salinity 1.023 (currently bringing it up to 1.025)
    Temp 78 - 80 degrees F
    PH 8.2
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrites 0
    Nitrates 0 (it has gone to 20 but chaeto keeps it in check)
    Running four months, live rock was already cured, cycle time was almost nonexistent.

I have a 50 Gal sump/fuge with an Aqua Euro USA skimmer rated for 250 Gal, 1200 GPH return pump, I have heaters in both the sump and DT for consitency. For Fish I have a Scopas Tang, Naso Tang, And Tomato Clown. I realise it is a little early but I have been closely watching my parameters and changing 20 Gal of water weekly just to be on the safe side. There are very few corals at this time consisting of softies and LPS. I have lots of water circulation inside the tank with my return line connected to a loc line to direct the flow as well as a SCWD and Hydor Koralia 2's. The tank is 48"Lx18"Wx30"D so getting good circulation is easy.

8. Click Here!

9. connemark

connemark Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Had the same thing happen and got out of the reefing business for five years. Keep a very close eye on it and be ready to pull it.

10. medhatreefguy

medhatreefguy Fire Worm

You must have really lost big time! What should I look for as the final indicator to pull it?

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I've never seen a sebae with a red foot. You most likely have a condylactis anemone. If you just added it 4 days ago, it's probably expelling its old water and absorbing new water so as long as your tank isn't too new and your water parameters and lights are good enough to sustain this animal, it should be fine.

Swisswiss likes this.
  12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

WAY WAY too early. I wouldnt add a seabae until the tank was at least a year old.. Up until at least 1 year, your tank will go through mini cycles. Keep in mind that these can last for an hour and even less, so you will nearly always miss it in testing. This is why there are time frames for adding certain livestock. One of those mini-cycles is plenty enough to set off a seabae. Constant water changes will only add to the stress as well. They need stability and lots of it.
    Indicators are: loss of color, constant moving, loss of footing, slimy instead of sticky, and foul odor.
    IMHO I would take it back. Not worth your entire tank. Just my two cents.