Sebae Anemone Health?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by french4orlife, Aug 3, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

it still hasnt found a spot to stay... do they usually stay in the sand or on rocks?? is it normal that mine still hasnt found a spot yet? It looks like its moving now, it's on its side.

2. Click Here!

3. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

I guess you posted this in two spots. Take the anemone back it is going to die in that tank and in that small of of water volume it will polute the tank. Here is a good website, please note near the bottom on the difficulty of keeping sebaes:

ANEMONE CARE AND TIPS

Good luck!

4. french4orlife

french4orlife Spaghetti Worm

If you read my posts before i said i have a a larger tank, and it will be changed when necessary. My perculas are babies, so thats not a problem. And the anemone has been doing great for the past 2 days! Eating, and moving. Very dark tan color, and a healthy foot.... dont see it dieng!!!!going around and saying "its going to die" is kind of harsh, try suggesting some stuff......

5. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Couple of problems with your statement:

1) I included a link that directly answers many of your questions on the care of anemones, their requirements, feeding, and level of difficulty of sebaes.

2) Anemones can ship for 2 days without dying, I would not use that as a woohoo moment. Your anemone may live 1-2 weeks but I would doubt much longer. I would be concerned about the size of your tank as it can fowl the water very badly if it does die and allowed to sit.

3) IMO you should have done research on several subjects before buying, such as filtration, care, food, water conditions, tank size, lighting requirements, and how many fish can I put in a 5 gallon tank.

4) There is not much to recommed, again IMO your issue is that the tank has not been established long enough for an anemone (many on these forums recommend atleast 1 year). Therefore throwing a lot of money at maintaining temp, protein skimmer, additional lighting (T5), filtration, LR, may not help at all.

5) You did not mention that the larger tank was ready to go, so I had to guess that it was not setup and established.

Sorry to sound overly critical but I have had experience with Anemones, aware of their requirements, made mistakes, and read these forums a lot and have learned that what you did was a mistake.

Good luck to you and your anemone.

6. Sharkbate

Sharkbate Coral Banded Shrimp

Everybodys opinions and experiences widely vary, but I agree with Kelly. Its unlikely to keep a sebae nem in a setup like yours. Ive been through many nems, and sebaes are by far the most difficult to keep. Even in the best captive conditions, they (generally) wont last more than 6-12 months, depending on conditions. Im certainly not saying its impossible ...just improbable.