Searching for Frags

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by kwmjones, Nov 29, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

I've been lurking around for a few months and this is my first post - I'd like to start by saying how amazing this forum is and the knowledge available is truly remarkable. I have been in and out of the hobby keeping reef tanks for 15 years (my first LPS reef I started at 12!) and getting back into it after an 8 yr break.

I started a tank a few months ago (30L i had in the attic), I've collected roughly 25 SPS frags so far (mainly acropora, 3 montis) - everything is going well, params are solid, seeing nice growth on several of the frags which is encouraging. At this point, I've been to most stores in NC & SC (I live in Charlotte), won 10 frags or so on Reefpets auctions, but looking to see where I can find other frags in the area or how I could buy some from other members on here. The local shops don't have much diversity, so once you've purchased a few, thats about the end of the road for months. Anyways, looking for some ideas on how to expand my collection (without completely breaking the bank!). Open to suggestions and thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef,

Many times you can find corals on your local Craigslist, check out local reef or SW aquarium clubs.

_____

1 person likes this.
  4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Make another 49 meaningful posts and you'll be able to access the Marketplace forums here on 3Reef. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Dang it I knew I was forgetting something.

Market Place Forums - Rules & Guidelines:

Selling, purchasing and trading on 3Reef is for the benefit its members only. The sole obligation of the Market Place forum is to provide a place for contributing members to enjoy the benefits of membership and participation by allowing hobbyists to sell and buy personal items to and from other hobbyists.

To maintain these benefits, and to prevent the use of the Market Place by non-sponsoring commercial entities, we have imposed the following rules for accessing and using the Market Place forums:

1) Members must have been a 3Reef member for no less than 30 days;

2) Members must have a minimum post count of 50;

3) Post padding (i.e. "nice tank," "I agree," "+1") in order to meet the Market Place posting requirements is not permitted. The moderators and administrator reserve the right to delete any post from any member that they deem has been posted solely for the purpose of accessing the Market Place;

4) By using the 3Reef Market Place, you assume all risk and liability associated with any sale, purchase or trade made therein. 3reef will not and cannot act as a mediator of Market Place transactions. If it is deemed that a member is abusing the Market Place, that member should be reported to the moderators and administrator so that an investigation can be conducted;

5) Commercial sellers are not permitted to use the Market Place. This includes retailers, wholesalers, or basement businesses. Sponsors are permitted to offer items for sale in their sponsor forum and in the Wanted section of the Market Place only. Any and all commercial sellers are encouraged to become a sponsor of 3Reef by contacting the administrator via the following link: 3reef Advertising. Commercial entities who hide their identity with the intent to offer items for sale may result in their removal from the site.

If any contributing member is offered items for sale via Private Message by commercial entities who are not sponsors or by members who do not meet the Market Place requirements, we ask that these messages please be reported to the moderators and administrators.

Please remember that the purpose of 3Reef is to allow individuals with a collective interest to exchange views and opinions and is primarily focused on a desire to help those new to the hobby to acquire quality information in order to progress through the hobby with minimal disappointments. Your first 50 posts would be best served targeted towards helping these individuals.

_________

6. Romie

Romie Feather Duster

i'm over 50 posts and i still can't see the market place :(

i guess i'm not 30 days in some help

oh and welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!! post up some pix of your corals when you get a chance!

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Or check out many of the vendors here. You can order quite a lot of things and have them shipped to your door.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Welcome, fellow Charlottean! Most of the shops around here are not SPS friendly. The ones that do have some, are pricey. I also recommend checking out some of the 3Reef sponsors, as many of them get some primo SPS pieces!

EDIT: Let me also say that our local reef club is pretty sad. I am a member of the Atlanta Reef Club, and it is pretty nice...long drive, but much better club.

10. Rawdogz

Rawdogz Torch Coral

LOL Romie did you go posting crazy? it took me like 5 month to get to 134 lol

welcome to 3reef

11. kwmjones

kwmjones Flamingo Tongue

Thanks for all the suggestions and quick replies - it seems like everyone in this area only likes lps and softies, which is a shame really as I think the absolute pinnacle of this hobby is successfully keeping/growing SPS and have for some time - that being said, I'm going to stay on the lookout and will keep cruising around online for deals - Will post some picks when I figure out how to do it on here...and thanks Corailline for the advice about the marketplace!

12. Ben Wehr

Ben Wehr Astrea Snail

You should have pretty good luck getting healthy and quality coral from the vendors. I would look at purchasing several items so as to spread the shipping costs. It seems like there is a new site selling coral everyday too. There are some pretty good deals to be had if you search. Then, when you get them growing out you'll have something to trade with your stores and club.