Sean's 8.5G Rimless Reef - 3/07/2013

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Seano Hermano, Jun 3, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Toallhisdoom

Toallhisdoom Dragon Wrasse

I would help ya out, but am a little 2 far away! Hang in there bud! I am sure we have all had days when we just wanted to give up! Just take a deep breath, and realize it is just a learning experience! Things will get better!

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I understand I may be thinking a bit irrationally right now because this just happened. But I'm trying to think long term.

- Aptasis infestation
    - The tank is leaking over time
    - Electrical problem

I would like to have this all figured out and problems solved by the time school starts again next semester. I'm still looking for a new job so I can move off campus, and Dad will be moving houses this month. I'll be working at Cedar point in the summer, and so I won't be home.

I am thinking about possibly building a new tank (not now though) and getting new rock - something with coralline algae, and not aiptasia and sponges. I need to reconfigure the wiring as well so it's safer, with a GFCI and all outlets inside the cabinet.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

If your Dad is going to be moving, now may be a good time to take a break....just my .02-is there a local reef club near you? Perhaps someone would be willing to house some of your more prized corals for you. You can sell the rest to get some cash to put toward the "new" tank when you're settled to a point that you can really give it some time. The electrical part gives me pause....as well as the possible leak (I'm dealing with that right now as well) which means I have to replace the whole tank. I'm just thinking for you at this point in time. Do you still have your 10 gallon at school? You're so young and should be able to enjoy the hobby and not have to "worry" about things all of the time. You'll have plenty of time to build a show tank in the future.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Sorry to hear about last night, glad everyone is okay.

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Thank you for the feedback. I don't have tank at school. That was the original plan with this tank, but I decided against it for reasons such as this.

When I build the new tank in the fall, I won't be going much bigger, it will remain around the same size (+/-1g). So I will keep the lights, powerheads, skimmer, and cabinet.

I will see if I can get a hold of someone more local who might be willing to hold the corals for me.

7. Jake

Jake Sea Dragon

Sorry to hear about your tank issues Sean. Don't let them get you too down! Take a short few day breather and come back to the decision with a clear head.

1 person likes this.