Seahorse stopped eating

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ebohacek, Aug 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ebohacek

ebohacek Plankton

Help!

i have a 20 gallon extra tall Reef tank.

The parameters are

ph: 8.2
    ammonia:0
    Nirites:0
    Nitrates: 5

I am housing 2 seahorses (hippocampus kuda)
    a cleaner shrimp
    a serpent star
    along with some hermits and snails

i also have 2 finger leather corals
    1 toadstool leather coral
    an open brain coral
    and a fox coral

now for my problem. my once very VERY active and healthy seahorse has completely stopped eating! i think i know why though, about a week ago we where in the middle of a terrible heat wave, and my chiller broke. My tank spiked up to 83 degrees and kept fluctuating between 75-83 for a number of days before i got a new chiller, which is now keeping it at a steady 76 degrees.

ever since then he hasn't been eating, and is pretty much motionless throughout the day. Is there anything i can do to save him!? i have been trying to get him to eat giving him brine shrimp, Cyclops eze, and enriched mysid shrimp but he just won’t eat. PLEASE HELP! what should i do?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

try to get some live brine or mysis.

I keep a brine egg hatcher at all times just in case.

You might also make sure you add some garlic to entice him to eat while you are getting the live.

The other thing I have for mine (which you might be able to find easier) is artic pods from reef nutrition

for some reason...seahorses will do that at times. Even tank raised seahorses that have ate for longest time

2 people like this.
  4. oceanparadise1

oceanparadise1 Fire Squid

Very well put, exactly what i was going to say, live brine with some garlic.

5. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Definitely a SH thang. Not unusual. Posters covered......

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

You need to get help fast because not eating is a symptom of several severe problems. If they don't eat for 4 days it is unusual for them to eat again as their system seems to shut down.
    I had one that had an intestinal problem and I was unable to save it even by tube feeding it.
    Check out this forum for similar problems, and you might even post all your water parameters, tank mates, timelines and Ann could give you the best advice for your situation.

7. ebohacek

ebohacek Plankton

Hey thank you everyone. unfortunetly he passed last night. but none the less thank you i will keep this advice in mind int he event this happones again. I will definetly get some arctipods, and nest time this happens i will definetly try live brine shrimp and garlic. thank you everyone for your great advice.

8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Sorry to hear about your loss. :( My gf and I just lost our seahorses last month too. The female got caught in my skimmer and died the next day. The male died of loniless a couple days later. I can empathize.