Seachem SeaGel anyone??

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by MoJoe, Feb 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I emailed Seachem today to see how much SeaGel I should put in my Phosban 150 reactor and they replied very quickly, which was great.

In case anyone is ordering some this may help you know how much to get:

Thank you for your question, and also for your purchase of SeaGel! We recommend using 500mL of SeaGel per each 80-120 gallons of water. Therefore, since you have 55 gallons of water, you should use roughly 350-400mL of SeaGel in your reactor. We hope that you will be completely satisfied with SeaGel, and please let us know if you have further questions.

2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Ok just changed out my Seachem seagel no packing problems with mine, ;D so all in all my thought is its a good product with no problems or drawbacks that i can report. ;D

4. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

Was wondering you flow rate of the reactor, how long before you changed the media & is it a one stop shop? Really want one product that does everything?

5. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Nightstick – I push 3,000gph through 3 pentair inline’s. This media should last several months and will not release phosphates once at its capacity.

Homegrown – lad you had no issues and came to the same conclusion as me, that being no issues and a good product. My packing was not sever but I mentioned since I had to tab my unit in order to get the media to come out.

All in all I am going to continue to use Chemi Pure Elite over Seagel since I feel it offers more benefit to the reef for being primarily the same product.

6. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

chemi pure elite it is, wish they would sell in 5g buckets!

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

I hooked up my reactor and am running about 250ml of Seachem SeaGel in it since yesterday. I'm going to keep a close eye and see how my levels go.

8. Click Here!

9. DarkEarth

DarkEarth Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Any update with the results?

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

here is the problem i see with seagel it has phosguard in it. if you read how they say to use phosgaurd it is supposed to be removed after 4 days. its a material that can leach back the phosphates, do you want to change the reactor media that often?

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

This is an old thread yet I still stand by our statements – Chemi Pure Elite is superior. Of course this is simply an opinion and experiance, yet no facts or studies to support it :)

However, Seagel does have Phosguard in it yet it does not exhaust after 4 days. Sorry Pink4miss but I think you misread the label. After 4 days you should test phosphates and continue using the product until your phosphates begin to rise. Than you know how long the product will work in your specific situation. Seagel states that it is good for months – again, a silly statement as all tanks are different. None-the-less that product can be used for varying lengths under various conditions. I would speculate 4-6 weeks being the norm.

12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

I use SeaGel in a Phosban 150 as well! The reactor is setup on a return pump manifold with it's ball valve backing way down to around 200 gph. This works well for me, but I've never used anything else so I've nothing to compare it it.

I've been skimmerless for a few months now, so my filtration is LR, Sandbed, 200 micron filter, Seagel reactor, and a huge cheato-afro.

Honestly I think my tank is in the best shape its ever been. Absolutely no nuisance algae apart from some green bubble that's just hanging on and not spreading.

Over the past few months I've been spot and broadcast feeding my corals at night way more than I have in the past. Sometimes I'll use 3 whole cubes at once so I know there's plenty of excess nutrients in my 72 gallon system afterwards.

Seagel works great in my system, plus it's nice to have carbon and a phosphate remover in one reactor to save space and plumbing. I change mine around 2-3 months.