Seachem Reef Builder

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by Wrassman, May 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

[glow=Brown, 3, 75%]SEACHEM REEF BUILDER

Reef Builder "raises and maintains carbonate alkalinity (KH) without impacting pH."  This is a dry powder, to be mixed with at least a cup of fresh water, and then added to the aquarium. Reef Builder "supplies bioactive calcium, magnesium, and some trace elements for corals" and "make(s) essential elements biologically available."

So, this is not a pH buffer; that is actually a seperate product called Reef Buffer.  No, this is an optimized blend of carbonate and bicarbonate salts designed to restore and maintain alkalinity in the reef environment.

Once again, if you don't know the importance of alkalinity in the reef, then much of this will not make sense to you.  And, if that is the case, I urge you to read this article, "Calcium and Alkalinity" by Randy Holmes-Farley (from Reefkeeping online magazine).  It will help you understand the significance of Alkalinity in the Reef aquarium, and how closely interrelated it is with Ca, Mg, and pH.

One of the beautiful things I like about Seachem's products is that they are so closely balanced and optimized to work together (synergistically). This is not only true for Reef Complete and Reef Calcium, but it is true for every additive Seachem makes. It is certainly NOT true for other manufacturers, who seem to make their products to "stand alone" on their own.[/glow]
    [glow=Green, 3, 75%]So, you test your water and you find that your Ca is fine, your pH is fine, but your Alk is low.  Sounds like it's time to add some Reef Builder to me.  Reef Builder isn't going to impact your pH; it isn't going to (directly) raise your Ca; but it is going to raise your Alk.  Mix up 1 tsp per 40 gallons in at least a cup of fresh water.  Mix it up good so that it doesn't look cloudy and/or gritty.  Ok, pour it into your sump -- don't pour it on any thing alive! -- just pour it in the sump and your done.

Next time you check your Alk, everything is right on the money.  Probably won't have to make another adjustment for a week or so.  Just test your water.  You know, those critters use that Alk up...

Next up, Seachem Reef Plus[/glow]​

[glow=Black, 3, 60%]Edited for clarity. -- SDH[/glow]​

2. Click Here!

3. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i use that also

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

[glow=red, 2, 100%]Well I just ordered the Reef Builder and Reef Calcium to go with the Reef Complete I already have. Once I get all three I will begin using and keep a journal of the results. Will post the before and after readings for the group here. After two months, sometime in late July or early August, I will add the 20 gallon sump/refugium combo and then report on the tank readings before and after the remote addition.[/glow]

[glow=navy, 2, 100%]Thanks Steve![/glow]

:) ;) :D ;D 8)

5. Wrassman

[glow=Navy, 2, 99%]Hey Craig,

You can certainly work up a dosing schedule for the Reef Complete and the Reef Calcium. When you get the bottles, look at the side of them and they will tell you how to set up a continuous drip for both products.

However, you should dose Reef Builder seperately, because it is formulated to raise Alkalinity. It should not be added at the same time as Reef Complete and Reef Calcium, since it contains carbonates and bicarbonate salts of Ca, Mg, Sr, and B. Those chemicals will interfere with the activity of Reef Complete and Reef Calcium, and should be added the day after adding the aforementioned supplements.

I hope this helps. When you get the bottles, write me, and we will figure out a dosing schedule that works for your tank.[/glow]

6. Craig Manoukian

Well I goofed on my first dosing.  Added all three Reef Builder, Calcium, and Complete in a drip application.  It really clouded the tank, but no harm to the livestock!  Will dose Reef Builder seperately next time.  Dopey me, eh?

Am following the Beginner instructions on a twice per week dosing schedule.

For my 80 gallon, my twice weekly dosing schedule will include:
    1/2 Teaspoon of Reef Calcium
    4 capfuls of Reef Complete
    4 capfuls of Reef Builder

7. Wrassman

[glow=Green, 2, 80%]Hey Buddy,

I think I said not to do that, didn't I? Anyway, don't do that, Craig. Dose them seperately. Otherwise, it will cause problems. ;D

Finally, your skimmer goes in the mail tomorrow. Actually it is going UPS. I'll let you know the particulars when I get them tomorrow.[/glow]

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Dose all three seperately or "Reef Complete and Reef Calcium, since it contains carbonates and bicarbonate salts of Ca, Mg, Sr, and B.", and then Reef Builder the next day?

10. Craig Manoukian

Can't wait to get the skimmer, and thanks so much to you and Teresa!

11. RogerL

RogerL Fire Worm

a note to all users of seachem products: the marine buffer shot my alkalinity through the roof. i had been using reef builder to maintain an alk of about 13dkh, but a week after using marine buffer, my dkh was around 20. just sharing. :)

12. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=RogerL link=board=Product;num=1052972447;start=0#8 date=06/25/03 at 23:23:12]a note to all users of seachem products:  the marine buffer shot my alkalinity through the roof.  i had been using reef builder to maintain an alk of about 13dkh, but a week after using marine buffer, my dkh was around 20.  just sharing.  :)[/quote]

What was your dosing schedule, how much did you use per dose, and did you test before adding a second dose?