seachem de-nitrate vs biopellets

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Blue Falcon, Jun 6, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Hey guys, just moved to a new city and went in to the LFS here and they were running seachen de-nitrate on all their tanks. This is the first time I have seen this product and was wondering how it compares to biopellets. I've been reading for hours and I cant find many people using it or any comparisons.

From my understanding seachem de-nitrate and seachem matrix are just porous media for both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria to live on, similar to live rock, and removes ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate though nitrification and denitrification. Seems simple enough but I wasnt sure if it was as effective at removing nitrates as biopellets.

Anyone using this product?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I used seachem matrix in a media bag inside on HOB filter on a frag tank and it worked great. Didn't need rock at all in the tank. I still would get nitrates as the by product however. De-Nitrate supposedly needs super slow flow through it for the anaerobic bacteria to work effectively. To me that sounds like it can build up a lot of detritus in a reactor or wherever you put it in a slow flow area.

4. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Biopellets feed the bacteria where denitrate acts like live rock. I feel if you have sufficient live rock then biopellets would be more effective and the denitrate would be a waste.

5. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I agree,using denitrate can help scavenge a small amount of NO3 but in most cases doesn't help more than simply adding more live rock.Biopellets serve as a food source allowing the bacteria to proliferate and the bacteria will consume some of pellet polymer as well as NO3 and PO4.You must have a good working skimmer if using pellets to remove bacteria otherwise they can overpopulate to a point that you have a "bloom",if this happens your water can become clowded and oxygen level in the water can drop dangerously low.