Seachem advantage

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Dingo, Sep 17, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

So I have emailed seachem about this directly and they haven't returned my email so hopefully someone can help out...

I was checking out their product: reef advantage calcium and it I just like kalk but it doesn't have a pH of 12!

Now if I mix this stuff with vinegar like I do my kalk, what is going to happen as far as the reaction is concerned?

Lastly, The bottle says calcium chloride so it is CaCl2. When it dissociates won't this put chloride ions in my water!?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, but this isn't a big deal. In actuality, it's good. The chloride ions will displace sulphate ions.

If you mix it with vinegar, all that is going to happen is that you'll be adding a carbon source to your tank. You won't get any additional Calcium dissolution.

1 person likes this.
  4. Pacificcoral

Pacificcoral Plankton

I am not sure on the effects of adding vinegar to the product but as far as the chlorides are concerned you are correct about them being left behind this is why it is key that one of the other chemicals you are dosing has sulfates in it. For example Magnesium Sulfate. Otherwise your chloride to sulfate ratio in your tank will get skewed.

1 person likes this.
  5. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

magnesium sulfate... thats epsom salt correct?

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, MgSO4

7. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

there is 21.3 times more chlorine to sulfate in ocean water so ill just use some de-chlorinator to take care of that... its not worth adding less than one grain of epsom salt per dosing lol

8. Click Here!

9. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

thanks for the help guys