Seabae Anemone or??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by bluepill, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

As many as the reefcleaners guy says it takes. ;D;D;D They do mow through it but to completely eradicate hair algae takes a pretty hefty cleaning crew. They're probably some well fed turbo's! :)
    I've seen recommendations up to 1 snail per 3 gallons. That's probably a bit extreme, but I'd definitely consider buying 10-20 more and see where that gets you.

2. Click Here!

3. trelane

Use an Uzi if you have to, just get it out of the tank. The rock isn't a concern right now. If you have to take it rock and all, powerwash the rock, brush it down with a heavy nylon bristled cleaning brush, powerwash it again, then dunk it in a 10% bleach solution overnight (then into a new fresh water ro/di bath once a day for a week to eliminate the bleach). You'll end up with base rock. In a few months it'll repopulate.

4. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

The anemone is not dead yet ahahahah........

What's the significance in doing that to the rock? i thought i should get the anemone off the rock before it dies.......

are you saying if i take the anemone with the rock, then i should do what you said?

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

How many fish do you have in there? I see a damsel in the pics, and you say you have two clowns? That is way to much fish in that tank. IMHO, 2 clowns by themselves would be REALLY pushing it. Maybe that's why you still have ammonia.

6. trelane

I'm saying get it out of the TANK. At this point the collateral damage if it does die is your tank. So if you lose a piece of rock that's less than your tank. Doesn't anyone know how to do DR planning and mitigation anymore?

7. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

The damsel was returned for the 2 clowns........well 1 clown now....

going to remove the anemone now....let's see wut will happen....

8. Click Here!

9. minnie

minnie Plankton

I have not read all the posts, but I just wanted to tell you that I bought a "white" sebea before, for my 29 gal. tank, the only lights are the ones it came with. My LFS said it would be a good purchase for me... I didn't know any better and trusted them. After some research, I went back to the lfs and told them that they sold me a bleached anemone and one that was not good for my tank, but it was getting its color back and growing well. Of course he told me it should stay white, and that it was dying because of my lighting (that is why it was changing color) anyways, my point is, I have had this anemone for about 4 months now, after it got its color back, it has doubled in size... since then I found a new LFS, and they told me "no" so I do have some trust in them. I hope they will take the sebea from me when it gets to big for my take (at this rate of growth, I imagine that will be within the year)

Oh and by the way, I don't have prestine water either, no matter what I do I can't get below 40 for nitrates... I do however have 0 nitrites and amonia.

10. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

I tried so many different ways to take the anemone off the rock and nothing worked. I took the whole thing including the clown back to the fish store. The staff there pulled the anemone off the rock very easily.

I took the clown home along with the water and rock.

HOWEVER, the clown is doing very badly now...........it is swimming/flowing on the surface of the tank. seems to be very weak.........I just changed the water today to reduce the ammonia level. The clown has not taken any food for the past few days since Monday........

jesus wut can i do?

1 person likes this.
  11. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

I would like to personally thank you for returning the anemone. Next, I would recommend no additions to the tank. Let nature run its course at this point. As long as your water quality is still good, there is not much else you can do. It is up to you if you want to return the clown. With all the movement in the tank you probably stirred up a lot of detritus, and you will have another spike now. Your tank is young, just have patience and wait out the cycle process completely. I hope you have better luck in the future.

12. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

The other clown died the day I when I said it's doing pretty badly.

now there's no fish in the tank.

after a few days, water seems to be very good now with no ammonia. going to wait for another week before getting another clown. hope everything works later.

btw, I was pretty happy when the LFS told me that my anemone is very healthy after I had it for almost 2 weeks in my tank.