Seabae Anemone or??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by bluepill, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

i won't quit of course not.

I understand that my tank doesn't have the enough requirements for the anemone, and I want to keep the hardware simple and easy for the first year. I have been told that the stock Oceanic Biocube equipment is very good already. I guess I just have to find the lives that are suitable for my specific hardware.

Other anemone may be fine in the future, but definitely not the Seabae now I suppose.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I see green algae growing because of the long-hours of lighting I did. What can I do to reduce that other than scratching and water-change? any invert helpful?

2. Click Here!

3. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

snails!

do you have any phosphates?

4. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

zero on phosphate.

0.1 ammonia
    0 to 0.1 nitrite
    0 nitrate
    400 calcium
    0 phosphate
    KH 8

Snails eat green algae? hmm maybe i should get more......i put in 3 yesterday and I only saw one for some reason....

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Turbo's will absolutely mow down green hair algae. But I would hold off on adding anything until that cycle ends. Ammonia being present is not good at all. I would definitely get that anemone out ASAP if that's where the params are at, it will start to go real fast.

6. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

Well once you know that sand sharks give live birth (Which I threw in as a hint), the rest's elementary. It's not an issue of being facetious or serious, it was a well constructed troll.

For those that come here via any direction other than USENET let me try to explain what happened.

I slammed the original poster because I think they're being incredibly cavalier with a very dangerous (to the tank) anemone. If he fails to keep the anemone (which is an almost certainty) then everything in his tank will die.

Admittedly I was quite harsh and direct with the OP after he'd ignored good advice and BloodyShirt decided to lampoon me with a logical fallacy called <i>reductum ad absurdum</i>. Taking the other side (keeping livestock unsafely) and using a shark (the most difficult livestock to keep) "egg" from a shark that gives live birth. Hence his statement was a joke. It was not the first post in a thread and wasn't a request for help. Though I will note that keeping a shark's egg in a bucket with a bubblerock and a heater until it's ready to hatch is harmless.

You know... the joke gets less funny when you have to take the time to explain it :( Regardless +karma to BloodyShirt and anyone else in this thread that I find who got the joke.

7. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have 5 turbos in my 75gal infested with hair algae and they don't even dent it :( How many does it take?!

8. Click Here!

9. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

i had an emrald crab that absolutely mowed what little hair algae i had. Then he decided to eat my turbinaria frag so i banned him to the fuge.

10. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

It's been 3 days since the clowns have arrived. one died and the other one is not taking any food!!! I tried to feed bryne shrimp and chopped mysis. didn't take any.....it's even hiding in between the rocks today. god damn it wut should i do?

11. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Not sure about the clown. It could just be stressed due to any number of things.

I would like to add one more piece of encouragement to getting rid of the Sebae.

When they die they STINK WORSE THAN anything I have ever smelled and I worked at the SPCA for two years. Its enough to make me vomit. If you keep it and it dies syphon the left over sebae out of the tank but keep it submerged. Dont let any part of it get exposed to air.

12. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

won't let that happen. It's going back to the store tomorrow.

I have heard a couple of ways to remove it from the live rock........seems not very eay though. i don't have power head other than the stock Biocube one. I will try using that as well as ice-cube+credit card....

any other suggestions to remove it? I am not going to take my rock to the shop with it otherwise i will have to get another rock which will start another cycle and kills my tank.