Seabae Anemone or??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by bluepill, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

all i have to say don't look at this as a mistake, but part of a very large learning curve.

2. Click Here!

3. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

thx for the giggles 3reef :D

4. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

It wasn't funny. I see people do things like this in real life all the time.

Apparently though acting in good faith like I was is not what this site is all about. How do I cancel?

5. Karen

Karen Flamingo Tongue

I thought the same as you did. It's kind of hard to know what people are saying if they are going to joke about a serious question. I know it was all in fun, but some people (such as myself) would not have gotten that joke. :-/

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Sorry to be a "buzzkill", but did you yourself happen to actually fully read any of the other posts? Yes, I myself have had a sebae nuke an entire tank that was too young on run on PC's. I said it in my first post in this thread, and it is chronicled here on 3Reef.
    OP has also said that a lighting upgrade is out of the question. Also, this is an 8 gallon nano that is been up for 3 months being run by a new hobbiest. How stable do you really think the water is? It is only realistic to have to outcomes with this: take it back and try again once more experience and a better enviroment is aquired, or have it die and nuke the tank. Sure, there may be a very slight chance it could make it? By way even take that chance, specially when the stakes are so high?
    I stick by my guns. Anemone needs to go back.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Nope, not the only one.

Let's keep is civil folks. No need to sling any more hash. Let's get back to the subject at hand.

2 people like this.
  8. Click Here!

9. bluepill

bluepill Plankton

One of the clowns died today.......

I have no idea why, and the water test was normal.

I am going to return the anemone in a few days. Even though it probably has nothing to do with the anemone, but wutever. Could the anemone possibly kill the clown?

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I am not sure if the anemone killed your clown or not. The clown might not have approached the anemone properly and got stung, the anemone might have been hungry and tried to eat it, the clown was sick, or not acclimated enough. It is tough to say what caused it..but I am sorry!

Please dont feel like anybody is gaining up on you...it is a common mistake that occurs. Most of us only care about 1. the animal itself (people tend to forget that the anemone (or any of our fish) are really a living, breathing thing) 2. your pocketbook. This is an expensive hobby and costs can add up really quickly, so you want to do it right the first time, and 3. trying to keep you from getting very frustrated. I read somewhere the number of first time SW hobbyist who get into the hobby only to get so frustrated that they give up. It is a pretty hight rate. And most of the time it is over things like this. They buy something that dies or wipes out their tank completely. They then give up and quit

Most people here want to help...not only you but the hobby in general. Everybody makes mistakes. There is not one person on here who can say that they NEVER made any type of mistake in this hobby. However people just want to share their experiences so that the same mistake doesnt happen to you!

And yes..I killed a couple anemones when I started...two sebeas. I had just got a 75g with T5HO lights (8 bulbs) and immediately decided I wanted a clown and anemone. So I got one that I thought looked nice (dont know if it was healthy or not actually). Placed it in the tank and it kept moving around the tank. I tried to target feed it, wouldnt take it and went into the rocks and died. I then being dumb as I am went and got another one..well guess what it died! So, no I am not just reiterating what I read somewhere!

Good luck!

11. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

Having grown a seabea to a hand eating monster from no knowledge at all I would have to say if you want to keep it great here is what you have to do. Upgrade you lighting and be prepared to keep nothing but clowns. my 36 gal is my seabea tank and all I have fish wise is a maroon clown. Every thing else was eaten. When I purchased my seabea it was goast white and probably on its last leg. But I did have halide lighting and knew enough to keep it under halides only. I too was also very unexperienced but knew enough to research my impulse purchase. You can bring it back if your water quailty is good and if your lighting is good also.
    Don't let everyone get you down in making you belive you are killing that animal. Every makes mistakes and atleast you are finding out how to handle what you bought.
    But if you feal you have made that big mistake and don't want to deal with new lights and such take it back and don't feel bad about it. Good luck with which ever path you take.

12. Arcain41

Arcain41 Coral Banded Shrimp

Yes, most definitely the anemone could kill the clown.

I know that a lot of our fellow 3reefers like to be witty and joke around. If you read through a variety of posts, you will see that MANY of the people that a tooling around in your post, really are brilliant. I know that you think you are doing the best you can by giving the anemone a nice "home" but you have to look at is the big picture. Your other tank inhabitants deserve life too. I know that your tank will be a great place for many fish and inverts. I just don’t think this anemone is one of them. I have a 125 reef aquarium and I have a 12 gallon nano. There are 6 anemones in the 125. One is a beautiful seabae. My nano is not the place for it. Anemones expel a lot of waste. You should see the junk that they "burp" out. My skimmer goes wild. I just don’t think you have the filtration or the lighting that you need. You do however have the perfect conditions for many other species. Please don’t cancel, that would be a shame. Take a deep breath, and scroll through the nanosection of 3reef. I think you will find some better options that you will like even more. IMO that anemone doesn’t have great color anyway. In my nano I try to pack in as much color as I can. Throw in little bits and pieces of brightly colored coral and small fish. The fun is placing things on a micro scale. You could pick up a carnation coral and really spice things up! They like less lighting and a nutrient rich aquarium. The real estate that anemone is taking up is kind of a waste. It’s just my two cents. It's your tank. I hope I helped and PM me if you get frustrated or ever have questions.