Seabae Anemone or??

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by bluepill, Mar 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

I read an article about white anemones at ageofaquriums.com They say there is not a white anemone in the ocean except for the ghost anemone. That is a sebae Anemone that has been bleached meaning there is no zooanthalae (bad spelling) left in this animal. The zoo whatever word is a algae that needs to be reproduced inside of this animal. To do this is going to take more than th elighting you have. He is going to die you can try all you want BUT for him please return him to the store or give him to someone with a tank that has been up long enough and had the needed light for him. Please take him back and get store credit or just deal with the loss but all your going to do wwith him in that taNK is kill him and watch him suffer and die from lack of what is needed for him to live..

2. Click Here!

3. bc219

bc219 Millepora

I have to say first off that looks like a seabe. Second, it's bleached so it needs to be fed a meaty treat (piece of uncooked shrimp, scallop, silverside, etc) every couple days for a few weeks until it turns brownish, therefore building up some zooanthelle.

I do not agree with people who are saying to "take it back" and this and that because the tank is "too young." As long as your water is stable and good quality it will be fine. I have two 75gal tanks, each has a seabe. Each tank got it's seabe when the tank was 1 month old. Call me a fool, whatever, but mine are both doing great and have never had a problem. One of the seabe's is about 6" across, the other is about 14" and they're very happy. Want to know what lights I have on them? NOTHING SPECIAL. For a long time the 6" one had regular T12's on it until 1 month ago I got some VHO's for it. The other tank (with the giant one) has a T5 and some PC's! For you I would definitely upgrade your lighting because the 18w bulbs are not enough!

Personally I'm waiting to hear a story from someone who bought a seabe and put in a tank that is "too young" and it died. As far as I've seen so far everyone just says that it will die becasue they read it on reefcentral somewhere.

In a nano it's a little risky in case the anemone gets too big, however it may not. One of mine I got at 4" and it's only 6" now a year later. The other I bought at about 8" and 6mos later it's now 14". Good luck!

Here's a pic of each.

14"
    [​IMG]

6"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  4. coldshot

Sure it can survive in a young tank but do you really think it stands a chance under those lighting conditions. Be realistic........

5. coldshot

How can you tell its doin fine? Its an egg...

6. bc219

bc219 Millepora

Hrm thats why I said that 18w bulbs aren't enough and that he/she should upgrade. Which I forgot to add when I hit save so I went back and edited :)

7. BloodyShirt

BloodyShirt Fire Worm

..you sir... just don't get it

8. Click Here!

9. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

You sure that's a sand shark egg you got there? They give live birth.

10. whippy

whippy Sailfin Tang

Black banded cat shark maybe?

I used to collect "mermaid purses" when I lived in key west.

11. DarthClownfish

DarthClownfish Flamingo Tongue

There are four species of sand shark, the smallest of which reaches a length of 10 feet and requires an aquarium rated in thousands of gallons. You have an egg in a 3g pico? To say that is irresponsible is gross understatement.

People need to purchase animals that they can provide proper environmental needs for.

12. trelane

trelane Peppermint Shrimp

It's an Egg! Like the ones that come in styrofoam. So long as it's wet, and has a little current it'll hatch. You'd be expected to move it to a larger tank before then. Seriously though, he was kidding.

Good grief, he was lampooning my lack of a sense of humor and I'm the only one that got the joke.