Urgent Sea Star Dilemma

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LittleFishy, Mar 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MinimumPhase

MinimumPhase Astrea Snail

It turns out that this concern is purely anectdotal. There is no substantiated evidence to suggest that exposure to air would cause a sea star to perish. It may best be avoided, but there is no proof that it will cause any harm. This is the paraphrased response that I received from Bob Fenner regarding this issue.

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Well then, I stand corrected. Thanks for probing into that.

4. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

I accidentally exposed my star to air the other day while changing water. I forgot he was at the top of the tank and water level went about half way down his body exposing the top half. Haven't seen any damage yet, we'll see...

5. CharlotteReefer

CharlotteReefer Coral Banded Shrimp

I believe we decided this is the star I have...Echinaster echinophorus

6. IvIountainman

IvIountainman Spaghetti Worm

Exposing any stars to air and it causing death is a MYTH! What really is the problem is stars keep a salinity in their digestive and vascular system which is the same as the water they were in. They can stay exposed to air for some time, as long as they are returned to the exact same salinity water they came from. This is why a drip acclamation is so important.

What you really should be concerned about is: 1. When was the star captured 2. How was it handled, transfered, and acclamated. 3. How did the LFS handle, transfer and acclamate it. 4. How long have they had it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  7. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

I did the exact same thing once except mine was totally out of water. The metal halide lights got too hot for it before I noticed what happened. It died a day later.

8. Click Here!

9. zoazack911

zoazack911 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

It seems the simple answer would be to try to avoid exposing anything that lives under water to air. No matter if it CAN survive, easiest thing to do is not test whether it can or not. My thoughts on that.