Sea Shepard Conservation Society Enlists Godzilla

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by xmetalfan99, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

I agree with most of you about how it needs to stop, but if some of you are going to touch on the basis that some of these mammals and animals are smart then we should be helping out to protect them, but if everyone is so keen on this why not put your attention to bigger issues, wars happening in many countries, starving children, a growing population of homelessness and other major issues in our world, if the sea shepherd has all this money and resources and media attention why cant we relate that to the human race, I'm all for helping animals but not when there is greater injustice being done around the world. I cant speak for everyone but i'd rather put my time, money, and caring into the human race, rather than some whales and dolphins.

He should hire some Somali pirates, because then the rest of the world could see why they are forced to become pirates to make enough to feed their families and survive. they don't do it by choice, but more they are forced into it by having not many other opportunities for a career choice.

But thats just my opinion.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can try to solve the worlds problem related to what is important to you as an individual.

Work with marine mammals and I promise you, that you will not see their slaughter as just another animal being killed for food.

Lastly I too would like to see this thread remain about Sea Shepard and not about the other over whelming problems we are faced with, I believe that was the true intention of the thread.

1 person likes this.
  4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

+1 to that

5. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

According to the environmentalists, in recent days the whalers have left their usual hunting ground off Antarctica and are now heading towards the southern tip of South America.

"If that's true then it demonstrates that our tactics, our strategies, have been successful," Sea Shepherd captain Paul Watson told the AFP news agency by satellite phone from the Steve Irwin ship.

this quote was taken from the bbc article posted.

Is it really a success to distract them from an area that is known for the whales to be caught to stir up another area on the planet that hasn't seen the poachers?

imo to trade one spot for another is not a success but instead it now will create multiple poaching spots. sort of the old example. take one drug dealer off the streets and two more pop up. taking this spot away from the poachers will drive them to find new spots further hurting the marine eco environment

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That was my favorite Star Trek of all

7. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow I missed this thread...

Right off the bat I will say that I am a strong supporter of SSCS....duh, look at my avatar..Sharkwater, if you haven't seen it you are missing out. It won numerous awards. I hear it is broken down on youtube to view for free. Search 'Sharkwater' and have a good time. Anyway..

To make a LONG reply rather short please allow me to reply. SSCS makes no bones about it. They are pirates. They throw rotten butter in bottles on the decks of Japanese whalers. They deploy prop foulers. Butaric acid is another thing they deploy on the Japanese whalers. They don't hide anything. In fact they make sure the Whale Wars cameras takes note that they are not playing around. Short of it, they do whatever they can to distress the whalers without causing direct harm to them. In 30 years nobody has been hurt. Here is a quicky from Capt/ Watson...

YouTube - A message from Captain Watson

Again, they will do what they can to protect whales in a sanctuary. They will throw bottles, they will attempt to foul the props of Japanese whaling ships...basically do whatever they can to stop them without resorting to measures that will injure human life. Now, if what they are doing is illegal or criminal, exactly why have they not been arrested? Sure Watson has been detained in several ports (he has upset a lot of shark finning organizations) around the world but why has he never been convicted???? Simple...no country wants to get involved. He always walks free. You really think the Japanese want to go to court, at the IWC, about their whaling in a sanctuary?

I read comments about the Ady Gil and how it could have moved out of the way of the Japanese harpoon ship. What exactly were you watching??? The captain did a massive starboard turn and t-boned the idle Ady Gil and eventually sent it to the bottom. BTW, the Ady Gil was not, nor ever been, funded by SSCS. The Ady Gil made it clear they were idle yet the dip**** captain of the Shonan Maru No.2 was being cute and rammed them disregarding every single maritime law. Really, take a look at the many videos. The Shonan Maru No.2 is on a set course and when it sees the Ady Gil adrift it makes a hard turn to t-bone the Ady Gil. I don't even want to discuss it due to the fact that if you can't see it for yourself then there is no other reason to talk...

Anyway, I read a few replies how SSCS is hurting Japanese fisherman and their families that depend on whaling. That in itself is BS. What the Japanese are doing is ILLEGAL! Yeah I know how it is these days when the term 'illegal' doesn't mean all that much. How the new thing is to 'let illegals go' and so forth. However, SSCS is going to be there when ILLEGAL poaching is going on in a whale sanctuary. Do I really give a damn if there are families in Japan that are not making money because they are not profiting from the illegal slaughter of whales in a ocean whale sanctuary? No, I don't give a damn. Sorry. Do I care if someone throws out how much 'whaling' is a cultural thing in Japan? Not at all. Contrary to what has been said here, the Japanese harvest Humpbacks. Yep. The same whale we did our best to secure back in the 80's. Now there are those that will back the Japanese and claim that they are only after scientific research. Hello? I catch, TAG, and release sharks here in Texas every summer for research. It would be sooooo easy to harvest the fins of said sharks and sell them to the MANY Illegals that roam our states beaches. No need to harvest whales and sell their meat to schools. Nasty.

Anyway, I am not a tree hugger. I will throw a 3ft BT shark on the beach grill most every time it is available. I eat meat, I love a ribeye and all sorts of fish. So enough with the 'radical' talk. My problem is harvesting whales, some endangered, and the fact it is going on in a sanctuary. Do you see SSCS raising a fuss with eskimo during their whale harvest? No. Do you see SSCS making a fuss when other countries have their harvest that is legal? No. They only get involved when laws are set, not being enforced, and they take it upon themselves to do what no other country will. Kinda makes me wonder why people make fun of them??? They aren't trained, they aren't government funded...just a group of people that said enough is enough and depend on support from civilians.

When SSCS is out there giving heck to the Japanese illegal whalers, out there sending divers down to cut the nets of illegal poachers with 800+ illegal endangered juvenile Bluefin Tuna, out there cutting the lines of illegal longline shark finning boats...heck everyone, they got my support. It is fun to laugh at them on Whale Wars but if they are not out there doing it, who will?

Now before the nautical buffs chime in with maritime law, save it. For those that were/are skippers, save it. We are talking International where not one single country wants to enforce.......anything.

8. Click Here!

9. TMWTim

TMWTim Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Oh one last thing....PLEASE, and I am asking nicely, PLEASE only reply to something I have said if you have researched the facts. I simply can't stand getting into a conversation/argument with someone that isn't prepared.

Bottom line..if SSCS isn't out there enforcing conservation LAWS....who is going to?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

This isn't Debate 101. People are allowed to disagree and ask questions. They won't be silenced. We at 3Reef allow people to state their opinion. The members themselves decide if a thread gets closed or not by their behavior. This thread is still open after all.

Here's one of your quotes.
    I think that's the issue.

My opinion is that Paul Watson is an idiot. I suspect that he may have a big heart. However, he only grabs other people with big hearts. He needs to bring someone who is intelligent along too on occasion. I don't want the Japanese fishers to be using a legal loophole to harvest animals. It's clear what they are doing.

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I like how you pick and choose who can break laws and who is a dip**** for it. ::)

Ady Gil was asking for it. If you can't see that, there is nothing left to talk about.

12. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Just an Ady Gil with a bridge