Sea Shepard Conservation Society Enlists Godzilla

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by xmetalfan99, Nov 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Well you may not agree with there methods but you can't argue with the results.:)

2. Click Here!

3. tank1970

tank1970 Bubble Tip Anemone

I agree 100%
    Actually like any revolution or social change - no one will listen until the way of life is threatened.
    Whales 1
    Whale killers 0

4. Phocidae

Phocidae Astrea Snail

I've followed Sea Shepherd since long before the show.
    I read Paul Watson's book Seal Wars, mostly because after studying Phoca vitulina, I was curious about anything relating to the canadian seal hunt.
    That being said, while I appreciate their spirit, and abhor the hunting of marine mammals, I'm not sure their methods are the best out there.
    Let's put it this way- it's like animal rights protestors standing outside of a lab with signs in the back of some industrial complex. The guys working in the lab don't give a **** you're out there.
    I'm pretty sure the seal hunter and whalers don't give a **** that you're there either.
    I don't know, maybe I'm just naive, but I think they best tactic is public education and international pressure. Pressure from the public, because we see how well political organizations work- ICCAT and the blue fin tuna for example, or the IWC and it's refusal to monitor small cetaceans for another.
    I find myself much more in line with the tactics of people like Ric O'Barry that spend their time trying to make the world aware of what is happening so that we can all decided what is right and how to deal with it, as opposed to simply trying to stand in the way of those who are committing the acts to which one is opposed.
    Now as far as what is right, and what is wrong, well I guess that's where it gets really murky. As far as I'm concerned, cetaceans are really special creatures, and from my personal experience with dolphins, their intelligence is almost frightening. I just don't think we have a right to treat such a sentient creature, who science has proven is self-aware, in such a horrific manner. As to where that leaves finn and minkes, well, I think they all need to be protected, but I'm sure others may argue otherwise.

Just my (slightly marine mammal obsessed) opinion.

1 person likes this.
  5. TROYBOY84

TROYBOY84 Feather Duster

Paul Watson should just hire somali pirates to work on the boats. That would be a great show!

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

If he hired the Keystone Cops to work the boats, I'm not sure that we'd notice much of a difference :lol:

7. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

lol just read this and huh.... I have watched the show and can see both sides argument. that being said hunting whales has been done for 100s of years and wont stop. Trying to stop it is an idea but the way it is done is not my ideal way IMO. I hunt deer and pig and not with guns but a hand made bow abd arrows because its fair so put the whalers into small wood boats and give them hand thrown harpoons and they can hunt as much as they want IMO :) but thats not going to happen so...... yea. The boat is cool looking though :)

8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

1 person likes this.
  10. Grog

Grog Astrea Snail

This probably doesn't look good as my first post (been reading the forums for a while though).

In international waters what right do we have to say what someone can or can't do? There are loop-holes in the international laws which are exploited. If you don't like them then why not use your resources to have them closed? Also why is it that when people are killed for race/religion/or beliefs less are bothered then when animals are killed? That show is just exploiting people, sooner or later those idiots going to go too far and people are going to pay the untimate price.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

You probably should have gone with your gut. Please don't turn this thread into a debate about race religion and things of that sort.

1 person likes this.
  12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

It will stop.

As soon as we run out of whales.

Then V'ger will be very unhappy. And unless Kirk comes through again... we're toast. :vulcan: